shoelesscraig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Table Duplicate Records Question

I have a table with 3 fields. I manually enter new records into this table. I know how to prevent duplicates in a single field...but my question is a little more complex (I think).

I will enter info such as "A" in Field1 and "B" in Field2 for the first record. The next record might be "A" in Field1 and "C" in Field2. I would like to prevent duplicate records from being entered "either direction". What I mean by that, is that I consider "A" in Field1 and "B" in Field2 the same as "B" in Field1 and "A" in Field2. Does this make sense? If so, can this be done?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    in the form have 2 unbound text boxes,
    user enters the 2 fields, this runs a Dcount on the data ,

if record count > 0 show, they exist,
    if 0 records show, you can add them using an append query.

create a union query to find the 2 possibles and save it as : qnFindExisting

select * from table where field1=forms!myForm!txtBox1 and field2=forms!myForm!txtBox2
    union
    select * from table where field2=forms!myForm!txtBox1 and field1=forms!myForm!txtBox2

Code:
    sub btnGo_click()
    if Dcount("*","qnFindExisting") >0 then
       msgbox "record exists"
    else

docmd.openquery "qaAdd1Rec"
    endif end sub

I did the above, but aren't quite there yet. Should I literally have the * symbol in the union query you posted above? Or should I be replacing the * with something else?

When I run it, if I try to add something that already exists, it DOES say "Record Exists". However, when I try to add something that I know doesn't exist, it runs the append query, but says that it is appending 0 records. It's like it's not picking up the text that I've entered into txtBox1 and txtBox2...so it doesn't know what to add to the table.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Something seems not right besides the fact that it doesn't work so far. If you can arbitrarily enter data in 2 fields, swapping sides as you go, that seems highly unusual to me. Each field ought to be for specific attributes for the table (entity), like
    CATS | DOGS
    calico | spaniel
    persian | poodle

That you could swap either of these is very unusual. Maybe all your values belong in one field if they could appear in either?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I've actually gotten it work now (after my last post above), so I appreciate the help...

I see what you're saying, and would normally agree with you...but just trust me...I have a reason for doing such. For context, I'll explain why below:

I track how far I drive for work. I already use this database for a completely different set of tasks, so I thought adding this mileage tracker would be convenient. So what I'm doing is going to a form and putting in 2 locations (for example "Home" and "Work") and the distance between them. As time goes on, the number of different combinations of locations will grow and likely be a LOT. So, I wanted a way to put in the distance from Home to Work and be sure that I'm not ALSO putting in Work to Home since that distance would be repetitive. I don't really care what order things are in. I might have Office to Customer A as an entry...but might accidentally try to also add Customer A to Office as well. I want to avoid the duplicate, but at the same time, don't care which way it is entered since, as stated before, the distance is the same either direction. So, if I try to enter something that already exists (either direction) it will pop up and tell me I can't.

Later on, I'm using this data in a report and a different Form to basically log mileage for a given day.

Without a doubt someone who really knows how to program could do this cleaner and better. I'm not a master at access, but I'm pretty decent (given enough time on this forum, lol) to figure it out. I used to program with VBA a good bit as well in a former life, so I've got some pretty handy code in this database for other reasons as well. Again, for now, it looks like I've got what I need. It's simple enough to do what I need, which is just track mileage every month in a convenient place (ie, the same database I'm already using for something else every day of the week).

Thanks all.....

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    For the benefit of anyone reading this thread in the future it would help them if you explained/showed how you got it to work
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Like Micron did write, something WAS wrong with your setup. Had you registered tracks - like "Home-work" (and optionally defined end points in 2 additional fields), there wouldn't be any problems to start with.
    An Example:
    tblTracks: TrackID, TrackName, [Place1], [Place2], Distance

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.