triskal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Access 2003 full version slow to open compared to runtime

I have a client that has been using an Access database as their primary client database for many years. I have been tweaking the database over the years and I believe I have very good performance. The users who have Access 2002 Runtime installed have very fast performance - I would even say it is snappy. This applies to both opening and using the database.

One user who does a little development work on her own has Access 2003 SP3 full version. Opening the database for her is VERY slow. It can take over a minute to get it open. Once it is open it is very quick just like all the other users. Her PC is new, running windows XP SP3 (still using XP for compatibility with other programs) with all other available updates. Another identical PC that uses Access 2002 Runtime runs the database fast just like all the other user.

So that means all the network and system issues that you might look at are off the table – they moved to a new office and now have gigabit network, a new fast server the AV software is set to not scan that folder where the BE is held on the server and not scan the folder where the FE is held on the workstations.

Also I would think that programming and application design issues are not the culprit either since all the other 20+ users have no problem and they are all accessing the same database.

So it would seem to be an Access 2003 issue. She has version 2003 (11.8166.8172) SP3.

Any suggestions would be helpful

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    you know, one problem could be the sp3 of xp. I think that was a problem package for access. As in, unknown errors would occur.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AACqBAVP0KzXKw

triskal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Well I purused some of the search results but didn't find anything specific to Access or Office. I am watiting to hear from the customer if they installed all the available updates for Office as they were up to Office SP3 but there were still some post SP3 updates not installed. Once they have done that, if the problem persists I will continue troubleshooting.

If anyone has any specific suggestions I would appreciate it.

not sure if this is it but I had added a trusted site which was on OneDrive and after a reboot my access was very slow to display pages. I had to remove the onedrive reference and reboot and all was fine after that

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.