catat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Combo Box filter – help!

I have read through most of the threads and still am unable to find a solution to my problem.
    I am trying to use one Combo Box that lists Student Names , and once that is chosen, only the applicable records will appear. I have two tables (strictly used for appending data to): Student Information Archive and Notes Archive.The tables consist of the following..
    Student Information Archive – StudentID, LName, FName, DOB
    Notes Archive – NoteID, StudentID, Date, Length, Note
    I was able to accomplish this by using a query requesting =[First Name: ] and =[Last Name: ], so I know that I should be able to use a Combo box instead somehow! Although this works fine, it is limited as it seems you have to spell the last name and first name exact, other wise no records will appear.
    Using information learned through this forum, I have tried adding a combo box and adding the following to the criteria of StudentID from the Notes Archive table. [Forms]![Archive]![Combo4]. I have also added the Requery to the AfterUpdate of the Combo box.
    The problem comes from the fact that the Combo box will list StudentID multiple times because there are multiple entries in the Notes Archive for each student. I tried going into the Query Builder and changing the Unique Values to Yes.
    Basically... I’ve tried many things hoping something would work! Excuse my poor access lingo and thanks in advance...

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    trying to use one Combo Box that lists Student Names , and once that is chosen, only the applicable records will appear

This is the classical application of the combobox feature and shouldn't be complicated. Add a combobox and the wizard will step you thru...you want to select the option that it finds records.

Before you add the combobox though, you want your form and its underlying record source showing the data as you want it organized......so that you are able to click thru records using the navigation at bottom.....once this works....then the combobox is added to the header of the form and is a shortcut to find/move to a record without clicking thru them 1 at a time.....

if in the combobox's choice the same record is showing multiple times....then you have obviously many records with the same information....so how will the user know which record to select? (rhetorical question)...you need the combobox to display the columns that both inform & differentiate the records so the user will pick the right one.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.