thulot is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Tweaking a Subform to Display All Records

Merry Christmas, everybody. I hope everyone you like, love, and care about is healthy.

I’m using Access 2016 as part of Office 365. I just need a little minor thing in my database tweaked. It’s probably so simple, I’m looking right at it and not seeing it. I hope so. I’m sure it’s a very commonly asked question, but I’m missing something.

I have a simple one-to-many music inventory database with a subform. I have it set to continuous form, but I am unable to see all of the records at once. I can see only one album for an artist at a time, and have to click one of the navigation arrows to scroll back and forth.

I’ve done some reading about this subject, and the general consensus is to point the subform to a query. I know how to create queries, but I’m not 100% sure about connecting one to a subform. Is there just a setting I have to change, to get all records in a subform to be displayed?

I’ll attach my rough draft to this message. Thank you, and Happy Holidays.
    Database3.zip
    T. Hulot

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The detail section on the subform is too tall. Drag the bottom up to just under the textbox. Draw the footer up to nothing.

thulot is offline Novice
    Yep, that's all there was to it. Thank you, and also, thank you for taking the time on this holiday to reply.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No problem, and Merry Christmas to you.

thulot is offline Novice
    I need just a little tiny bit more help with this, please. One more minor tweak that I haven't figured out yet. Probably another thing that’s so obvious, I’m overlooking it.

If you look at the newest draft (attached to this message), you’ll see the navigation panel in the subform is not visible. In order to see it, you have to scroll down with the vertical navigation bar on the far right of the screen (or use the scroll wheel on the mouse).

I’d like that navigation panel to be visible at all times, if possible. I’ve tried tweaking the form and subform in design mode, but haven’t figured it out.

What should I adjust to get that panel visible at all times? Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    DLMusic-davegri-v01.zip
    You already have DIY navigation buttons. I added a counter textbox, so maybe you can do away with the built-in navigation buttons.

thulot is offline Novice
    Thank you for tweaking my database, but it’s not quite where I want to be yet. Can we work on this a bit further?

Two things:
    1. I appreciate you adding that control, but it's not the number I want. I want the number of records in the subform, not the form. I really don't need that control at all, because the horizontal navigation bar at the bottom of the subform has that information. I just need to get it visible.

Regarding that horizontal navigation bar:

2. You somehow fixed what I needed fixed, but I don't really understand what you did. In my database, the navigation panel in the subform is not visible, unless or until you use the scroll bar at the right of the main form. You got rid of that scroll bar, and now the navigation panel in the subform is visible. I don't know how you did that.

Here's what I did: I went into Design mode, went into Properties, and in the Properties Sheet, I went into Format, and for Scroll bars, selected Horizontal Only. That got rid of the Vertical bar, but it still didn't render the subform's navigation bar visible. So, I'm stumped.

Can you guide me through it, so I know how to do it in the future without requesting assistance? You clearly tweaked something. I still do not know what.

I'm attaching a .zip file with three screen shots. (In case anyone else reading this thread wants to join in.)
    Thank you. T. Hulot
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You have a lot of wasted space in the main form. Reduce the size of the detail section to just below the subform. Adjust the footer to nothing (I left a sliver in the image so you could see it).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	footer.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	36728

tatihulot is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Got it! That did it. Thank you! Just a minor tweak that was so obvious, I completely overlooked it. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.