ironfelix717 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

MS Access - Annoying Scroll Issue with Subform/Tab control

Hi,

I have attached a test database that can be viewed by the experts... Though i'm not confident i'll solve this, as I think it's another inherent bug that microsoft can't seem to get their dev team to fix.

GOAL:
    I am trying to create a listbox selection that changes a "view". Each view is a subform or tab control. It doesn't matter at this stage. The point is, I want to switch between forms with a vertical listbox, much like you see it many applications today.

Requirements:
    This is where it gets tricky

--The listbox selection MUST not scroll with the screen and MUST be vertical to the left side.
    --Each "view" or page must be able to scroll independently of the main form background (i..e listbox)
    --Each page must be held in memory (this leaves Navigation controls out of the question - they are useless and cumbersome anyhow)
    --Each "page" or "view" must ALSO be able to hold one additional tab control (thanks Microsoft for not developing nested tab controls) - this is achieved by using a subform that contains a tab form inside.

Current approach:
    I am using a tab control to store the "views". Each tab is controlled with the listbox. In each tab, a subform is loaded. Within that subform, a tab control may or may not exist. Along with the necessary controls for that page.

Current Problem:
    Because i need the listbox to remain stationary and also vertical on the main form, I have set the main form's scroll property to None. This presents an issue with a subform. The subform scrolls an arbitrary amount. It does NOT allow scrolling within the subform clear to its bottom. To get to the bottom of the subform, you must scroll the main form. And this is an issue.

Conclusion:
    These are semi-fundamental functions of software design that can't be achieved.
    I'm curious to see if anyone has a solution. Please see my attached DB. Thanks for your time.

UPDATE:
    Accessforums not allowing me to upload my .accdb. Says file upload failed, but no reason why (nice feature).
    Please DL from here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=69181178471278011452

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I couldn't follow everything in your explanation BUT:

1. There is a file size limit for uploading. Always compact your file and usually you will need to zip it as well
    Normally people, including myself, will not look at externally hosted files.
    Thay could be why this is the first reply after 26 views

2. You have made several criticisms about form design limitations but your own design could be significantly improved
    a) lots of unnecessary empty space
    b) width and height of main tab and subform both excessive
    c) I don't see any purpose in the main tab at all - the same outcome is created by clicking the listbox
    Its impossible to see the main tab buttons except in design view - why not scrap them
    d) Using overlapping windows rather than tabbed documents will give you more flexibility

I've dealt with a) & b) but left c) & d) for you in case I've missed the point completely (quite possible!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello,

Thanks for replying, as well as for your time with investigation this. But allow me to respond to your criticisms.

A) The space isnt unnecessary. I am developing a full size application. This is a legitimate program that is being developed.

B) Not excessive - You are seeing a stripped down version of my DB. This database will run full screen without any hint of MS Access being shown. The header size is quite typical of similar software.

c) The purpose of the main tab is to work with it in design mode. If you set the tab property to invisible, you can not actuate between tabs in design mode, exactly as your example is. - This will be removed during use.

D) Overlapping windows 100% defeats the purpose of this post.

Your example provided works fine when the header is removed (though not a solution). And... If i were to have an even deeper subform? How would this be accomplished when the main form scroll property is set to None? These two major design flaws on Microsofts part, which are the subform scroll issue and not supporting nested tab controls has limited the functionality/complexity of designing.

I didn't think I was being critical just making comments.
    I can only comment on what I see not on what you might develop in the future

I also run many apps full screen with the Access ribbon, nav pane, title bar & app window all removed.
    Sometimes also with the taskbar removed. This gives you more screen space but your issues are likely to be unchanged.

If you set the tab property to invisible, you can not actuate between tabs in design mode, exactly as your example is
    I left that exactly as it was

Overlapping windows 100% defeats the purpose of this post.
    Why? That doesn't prevent you using tabbed form controls.

Your example provided works fine when the header is removed (though not a solution)
    ????

Unless you need to scroll the main form, it is indeed wise to hide that scroll bar as it can be confusing having two scroll bars.
    If the subform is being scrolled why does it matter whether is is less than your screen height or 55cm tall?

These two major design flaws on Microsofts part
    Sorry but I don't follow what you mean

You can have nested tabs by using subforms - as subforms can be up to 7 levels deep, so could the tabs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Design.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	36284

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FormView.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	36285

Personally I would find it confusing to have several levels of tabbed forms but if that's what you want its certainly possible

Good luck with your project
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    UPDATE:

So, looking closer at your sample, the subform scrolls clear to its bottom - unlike my actual db file. Even when adding a header to the form, this still works good. Which is where a lot of my frustration was happening..

So I have to investigate what is different between your sample and my database.

Thanks, will report back.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Update:

So, i fixed the issue. Basically, when I created the subform control, it defaults to the form height of the source object. So the source form is really long. This stretched the tab form and the subform control itself out really long (full length of the subform source form).

And for some reason, that was preventing me from being able to scroll clear to the bottom of the subform.

I assumed you just couldnt scroll to the bottom without having to scroll the main form. Which is where a lot of frustration came but now that i shortened up the subform control, i can scroll the whole height.

Problem solved!

Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,

You're welcome.

Please do investigate changing to Overlapping Windows in Access options.
    IMO far more flexible than using Tabbed Documents as you can resize each form individually on the screen.
    See what you think ....
    As I said before this is nothing to do with using tab controls on forms

EDIT:
    Just discovered an email notification of a post starting
    There were some misunderstandings. By "multiple windows" ....
    As you've deleted that post, I'm assuming the points in that no longer need a reply

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.