ntambomvu is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

About file management

Hello Chaps- your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I have always kept my files in seperate folders relating to the content of the files
    so for one contact I would have files from work,email,pictures,cad drawings letters recieved etc etc.

I would file the data in a folder called "docs" for all letters. another folder called "pics" for all pictures,
    another folder called "projects autocad" and another called "projects Fusion"
    each folder has an alphabetical subfolder of all the files under the name of the contact.

This has resulted in many subfolders for each contact spread out all over the place.

Is there any reason why i could not have one folder for each contact and that folder contains
    everything from that contact. so the subfolder "peter someone" would contain all letters,emails,
    cad drawings correspondence to and from all mixed up in the one folder?
    this woudl simplify my folder structure a lot
    What do you think?

fred

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I think this is entirely a matter of opinion and preference. I see no reason why could not have the alternate file structure and it does make more sense to me. We do something similar, only instead of contacts, the entities are projects. A new project is set up with a standard file structure using a 'template' folder. We just copy the template with its subfolders and rename the parent folder with the new project name.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes - I think you are suggesting just what I am looking for. I am a little concerned about file conflicts. for example some
    software creates its own files ( I notice when i look in some folders that there are files that I didnt create some are backups
    and some have unknown extenxions) i would like to know if there are likely to be any conflicts and overlaps?
    I am trying to contact autodesk to ask there opinion- but to try and get to a support person rn a forum is
    a thankless task

regards
    fred

Windows 10 Access 2016
    thanks June 7 - another question - I intend managing my files along these lines
    root folder will have business and personal
    business folder will have admin ( for management matters) and correspondence
    correspondence will have alphabetical folders according to name of entity. like a
    folder called "fred" will contain docs,drawings,pictures,emails the lot. orders,quotes
    and everything will be in the same folder
    what do you think

fred

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Subfolders and files with same name in multiple folders is not an unusual situation and should not cause conflict.

Do a structure that you are comfortable with. You are apparently not satisfied with existing setup so change as you see fit.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.