henry.klassen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Imagemagick fails on machine with runtime

Here's what I got, it runs on the machine with Access installed how ever on the runtime it seems to fail executing the shell command
    Machine 0, Windows 10 Pro Access installed 64 bit executes successful
    Machine 1 Windows Pro, Runtime 2016 64 bit fails to execute
    Machine 2 Windows 10 Pro, Runtime 2016 64 bit fails to execute

all machine run the same version of imagemagick

Code:
    Public Function PDFtoBMP(strPart_ID As String)
    Dim ImageMagicPath As String
    Dim StrFileStorage As String
    Dim strPartNumber As String
    Dim strWorkDir As String
    Dim strCadSuffix As String
    Dim iImageQuality As Integer
    Dim strImageFormat As String
    strWorkDir = DLookup("Set_Value", "Settings", "Description = 'Temp_Work_Dir'")
    strPartNumber = DLookup("Part_Number", "Part_Number_tbl", "Part_ID =" & strPart_ID)
    StrFileStorage = DLookup("Image_File_Location", "Customer_Tbl", "Customer_ID =" & DLookup("Customer", "Part_Number_tbl", "Part_Id =" & strPart_ID))
    ImageMagicPath = DLookup("Set_Value", "Settings", "Description = 'Image_Magic_Exe'")
    iImageQuality = DLookup("Set_Value", "Settings", "Description = 'BMP_Quality'")
    strCadSuffix = DLookup("Cad_Suffix", "Customer_Tbl", "Customer_ID =" & DLookup("Customer", "Part_Number_tbl", "Part_Id =" & strPart_ID))

Do
        If FileExists(strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".pdf") = True Then
        Exit Do
        End If
        DoEvents
    Loop
    Shell (ImageMagicPath & "magick.exe " & strWorkDir & strPartNumber & ".pdf " & " -resize " & iImageQuality & "% " & strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp") 'fails to run in runtime
    ' this is what a debug print of the shell string looks like     C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.8-Q16\magick.exe C:\Work_dir\5-15000.pdf  -resize 30% C:\Work_dir\5-15000.bmp
    Do 
        If FileExists(strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp") = True Or FileExists(strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & "-0.bmp") = True Then
        Exit Do
        End If
        DoEvents
        Pause (1)
    Loop

If FileExists(StrFileStorage & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp") = True Then
        SetAttr StrFileStorage & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp", vbNormal
        Kill StrFileStorage & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp"
    End If

If FileExists(strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp") = True Then
    FileCopy strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp", StrFileStorage & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp"
    Exit Function
    End If

If FileExists(strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & "-0.bmp") = True Then
        FileCopy strWorkDir & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & "-0.bmp", StrFileStorage & strPartNumber & strCadSuffix & ".bmp"
        Exit Function
        End If

End Function

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My first guess would be it's not building the string you think it is when it's attempting to execute the shell command.

I would have it print the shell command string to a text file (because it's failing on the run time machines this is really your only recourse) to see if it's generating what you think it should be.

If the string looks good, my second stop would be to verify all the paths/files exist in the folders the string is generating. I've had a few problems in the past where 32/64 bit machines stored things in different locations which would cause a similar type of problem.

henry.klassen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    My first guess would be it's not building the string you think it is when it's attempting to execute the shell command.

I would have it print the shell command string to a text file (because it's failing on the run time machines this is really your only recourse) to see if it's generating what you think it should be.

If the string looks good, my second stop would be to verify all the paths/files exist in the folders the string is generating. I've had a few problems in the past where 32/64 bit machines stored things in different locations which would cause a similar type of problem.
    Thank you for responding, what I found to be the problem was the directory had a space in it. The fix was to add qoutes in the string.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.