deadmanmss is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Unhappy looking up data from different tables

hi, sorry if this is in the wrong thread but i need some help, may seem preety basic to you but its driving me up a wall trying to solve it

basically i have two tables Service & Order, in the service table i have 3 fields where i have stored all the services that my database is suppose to hold, ServiceID(primary key), Service(what the services are) and Price (price of the services)

now in my second table Order is where the user makes orders for whatever and have 11 fields, one of the fields in the order table (ordertype) gets the services from the Service table, which is fine, but the other field in the order table is what is giving me the problem, this is the Price field.

What i am trying to do is, when the user selects an order type from the order table, i want the price of that order to display in the price field in the order table , it should look at what has been selected and display the price

please help

many thanks

revnice is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'll be following this thread - I'd love to get the answer to that one myself!

rev

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    first of all you should not be doing this in a table, but in a form. I have already written a faq for doing this in a form actually, and the link is here: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=155420

it shows how to enter a value in a text from a combo selection

Windows 7 Access 2007
    yes sorry i forgot to mention that its a form that use data from them tables but yea that link helps me alot

thanks mate

Windows 7 Access 2007
    hello again, im still having problems with this and was woundering if someone can give me a clear cut answer to this. i searched around and found out what i was doing wrong and hopefully fixed it.

but anyways basically ive got a table (Service) which has 3 fields serviceid, Service and Price (obviously services are what they are and price is how much).

Ive created a form (Order) and in that form i got a combo box that selects the services which is fine, but my other field in the form Price, needs to be able to automatically populate the correct price form the service table for the service selected in the ordertype combo box in the order form (hope that makes sense)

now i know it an After Update command is needed but i cnt for the life of me understand what command to put in, ive tryed a number of commands but to no avail nothing works.

ive looked at that microsoft help and it makes no sense to me :S i dont understand how i can use that to do the same thing, ive tried changing the names to suit my db but it didnt work

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Deadman:

I might have an example that would help you out. I just about went nuts trying to do the same thing and a forum dude helped me out. I still don't quite understand what he did but by poking around we should be able to figure it out.

Mine is similar, it populates customer data based on the customer ID so I think it's really close to what you want. It's on another machine so I'll have to get back to you.

rev

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Hi rev yea yours sounds about like mine, any help id really appreciate it. I'm at work now so I'll reply to everyone later tonight

Thanks

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I sent you a Private Message

rev

Windows 7 Access 2007
    hi mate, i havent recived any PM, but i did get an email from the forum, check your inbox

thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.