AMJADJ is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Lookup drop box choices and bring back value from table

Hi

I have searched the internet but cannot find the solution.

We are beginning to create a quotation model in which there will be certain sections which will ask the user a question/s and return the cost based on the drop down selections made.
    For example, with regards to transport cost, the user will be asked to select values from 2 drop downs, Destination and then number of pallets. Based on this combination another "object" in the form will show the price to send x number of pallets to the destination.

I am assuming I need a table with the fields destination, pallets and cost (called Transport_Costs). Then create a form with 2 drop downs, one getting values from Transport_Costs.destination and the other Transport_Costs.pallets.
    What I am struggling with is what do I need to do on the form to get the cost. I want the cost to change if the user changes the initial destination or number of pallets that was selected.

Hope this makes sense.
    Thanking you for your time.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You can set the control source of an unbound control to do the maths.

Assuming the bound column of the combos is holding the values , something like;

Code:
    = cmbTransCost * cmbPallets
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Sorry it seems like I may have not explained correctly.

I am assuming I have to have a table as follows:

Aberdeen 2 £3.50
    Aberdeen 3 £3.00
    Blackpool 2 £4.00
    Blackpool 3 £3.70

If the user selects Blackpool as the destination and 2 as the number of pallets, I want the form to bring back £4.00 as the cost. I have the drop downs, just now sure how to get a "field" / "object" to show the £4.00. I guess its lookup the destination and the number of pallets in table and bring back the cost.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ah sorry - that's even simpler then - Bring that value into the combo box as a hidden column. Lets assume it's the 3rd column.

In the control source of the unbound control use;

Code:
    =Forms![YourFormName].cmbTransCosts.Column(2)
    As you can see from the example column numbering starts at 0
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Sorry maybe I am being thick !! and by explaining further I am not insulting your intelligence.

--- > I have a table called destinations which has all my destinations in.
    ---> I have a table called pallets and this has individual number of pallets I can send (1-26) currently
    ---> I have another table which has three fields, destination, pallets and cost called costs

---> I have created a form with two combo boxes, one with a list of destinations from the destination table and the other number of pallets from the pallets table.

---> The user will select the destination and the number of pallets, at this point the entries are shown in the box.

What I want happening is when the user has selected the destination and the number of pallets, I want "something" to go to the cost table and look at the row containing the combo box values and bring back the cost of sending x pallets to destination y.

Sorry if I have just repeated myself! I just don't understand the answer above. if the user is selecting values from a drop down., then a combo box with the costs means they have to select the cost? I want the form to automatically sho9w the cost once the two combo boxes have been populated. I am hoping this can be done as I have other questions on the form which will require a cost bringing back.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

I have solved it, maybe a crude method not sure but it has been solved!

I created a combo box for destination using the destination field and then a combo box for number of pallets.
    I then inserted an unbound text object which would = value of combo1 + value of combo2 (this would change when combo1 was updated)
    I then created another unbound text box whose control source was =DLookUp("[Costs]![cost]","[Costs]","[destination]= '" & [Text15] & "'")

Thank you all for your replies and taking the time out to respond.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.