VAer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

INSERT INTO or other SQL operator ?

I have an Access table Users_T which has three fields: Computername, LoginID, Password

Computername is the only Primary Key

Now I have three variables:

Computername = Environ("username")
    LoginID = Forms("Login").TextBoxID.Value
    Password = Forms("Login").TextboxPassword.Value

Those three variables are NOT NULL.

Question: now if I have those three variable values, I want to check if Computername is already in the table User_T, if Computername already exists (LoginID and/or Password could be NULL), then update Login and Password with new variable values, no matter if LoginID/Password is NULL or not. If table User_T does not have the Computername, then add those three variables as a new record.

How should I write the SQL statement?

Not familiar with SQL syntax. My code is more about the logic. How to write it correctly? Or if there is simply way to write it? Something with one line of SQL to including both UPDATE and INSERT?

Thanks.

Code:
    Dim Computername As String
    Dim LoginID As String
    Dim Password As String

Computername = Environ("username")
    LoginID = Forms("Login").TextBoxID.Value
    Password = Forms("Login").TextBoxPassword.Value

SqlExistStr = "SELECT ComputerUsername FROM User_T WHERE ComputerUsername = @Computername"
    SqlUpdateStr = "Update User_T SET LoginID = @LoginID, Password = @Password WHERE  ComputerUsername = @Computername"
    SqlInsertStr = "INSERT INTO Users_T (Computername, LoginID, Password) VALUES (@Computername, @LoginID, @Password)"

IF EXISTS(DoCmd.RunSQL SqlExistStr)
        DoCmd.RunSQL SqlUpdateStr
    Else
        DoCmd.RunSQL SqlInsertStr
    End If

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you can do all this in a query.
    NO code needed.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'd open a recordset on SQL that included a criteria on computer name. If it comes up with no records (EOF) then use the AddNew method to add it, otherwise use the Edit method to edit the record.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    you can do all this in a query.
    NO code needed.
    How to do it step by step?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Research what is known as UPSERT. I think you will find you need to go with the conditional code you have.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    I'd open a recordset on SQL that included a criteria on computer name. If it comes up with no records (EOF) then use the AddNew method to add it, otherwise use the Edit method to edit the record.
    Can you write some key codes? Such as how to open Access table as Recordset? How to write a AddNew statement and Edit statement?

Maybe you are right, I should completely ignore SQL, since it is dealing with Access table, not database table.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Research what is known as UPSERT. I think you will find you need to go with the conditional code you have.
    Does UPSERT really exist? I did not find it on https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

June7 is offline VIP
    No, it is not an intrinsic SQL action, it is a concept. One discussion https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...14004#37014004
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

What does "Object variable or With block variable not set" mean? I have set variable type.

I have previous code CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") to test if Username/Password is correct. If it is correct, I go with below code to either AddNew or Edit the Access table.

The code actually goes directly from Set LoginUserRS = TestDB.OpenRecordset(LoginUserSQL) to Login_Error:

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoginError.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	35507

Code:
    Dim Username As String
    Dim Password As String
    Dim ComputerUsername As String
    Dim TestDB As DAO.Database
    Dim LoginUserRS As DAO.Recordset
    Dim LoginUserSQL As String

On Error GoTo Login_Error

Set TestDB = CurrentDb
    LoginUserSQL = "SELECT * FROM UserT WHERE ComputerUsername = " & ComputerUsername
    Set LoginUserRS = TestDB.OpenRecordset(LoginUserSQL)

If LoginUserRS.EOF Then
        LoginUserRS.AddNew
        LoginUserRS.Fields("ComputerUsername") = ComputerUsername
        LoginUserRS.Fields("Username") = Username
        LoginUserRS.Fields("Password") = Password
        LoginUserRS.Update
    Else
        LoginUserRS.Edit
        LoginUserRS.Fields("ComputerUsername") = ComputerUsername
        LoginUserRS.Fields("Username") = Username
        LoginUserRS.Fields("Password") = Password
        LoginUserRS.Update
    End If

Login_Error:

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It indicates the following possibilities
    - you don't have OPTION EXPLICIT at the top of every module. See Options >always require variable declaration in vb editor. This option ensures you don't try to use a variable that hasn't been declared.
    - it can also mean you have declared a variable of type OBJECT but haven't SET it (created it) before trying to use it.
    - seldom have I ever had the error from not properly declaring a With block but as the message suggests, it's a possibility.

- last suggestion removed. Apparently it's still too early where I am. Leaving in what still seems relevant below.

PS - advise that you do not name variables the same as other objects (fields/tables). Should adopt a naming convention

https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...d.php?t=225837
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0012.htm

EDIT 2:
    Looks like a lot of unnecessary code for what you're doing, though.
    I also assumed you got an error message, but upon review, don't see where you say that. Maybe you just moused over the variable before the line that assigns a recordset to the variable was executed? In that case, you're trying to examine what a variable holds before anything has been assigned to it. In that case, maybe there's no problem. That would make this about the longest useless answer I've come up with in a while.
    Last edited by Micron; 09-17-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: correction
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The code skips IF statement.

The code actually goes directly from Set LoginUserRS = TestDB.OpenRecordset(LoginUserSQL) to Login_Error:

Maybe there is somethingwrong with CurrentDb, previous code checks Sybase connection, while I want to Set TestDB to current Access database. How to define Access database (while other Sybase database is open)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    It indicates the following possibilities
    - you don't have OPTION EXPLICIT at the top of every module. See Options >always require variable declaration in vb editor. This option ensures you don't try to use a variable that hasn't been declared.
    - it can also mean you have declared a variable of type OBJECT but haven't SET it (created it) before trying to use it.
    - seldom have I ever had the error from not properly declaring a With block but as the message suggests, it's a possibility.

- last suggestion removed. Apparently it's still too early where I am. Leaving in what still seems relevant below.

PS - advise that you do not name variables the same as other objects (fields/tables). Should adopt a naming convention

https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...d.php?t=225837
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0012.htm

EDIT 2:
    Looks like a lot of unnecessary code for what you're doing, though.
    I also assumed you got an error message, but upon review, don't see where you say that. Maybe you just moused over the variable before the line that assigns a recordset to the variable was executed? In that case, you're trying to examine what a variable holds before anything has been assigned to it. In that case, maybe there's no problem. That would make this about the longest useless answer I've come up with in a while.

Minty is offline VIP
    You are declaring ComputerUsername as a string but then not concatenating it as a string value in your SQL select.
    Therefore because of your error handler you will get a error and go straight to the error handler. (Which you haven't shown us)

Code:
    LoginUserSQL = "SELECT * FROM UserT WHERE ComputerUsername = '" & ComputerUsername & "'"
    As a guide you should always debug without error handling being enabled.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    You are declaring ComputerUsername as a string but then not concatenating it as a string value in your SQL select.
    Therefore because of your error handler you will get a error and go straight to the error handler. (Which you haven't shown us)

Code:
    LoginUserSQL = "SELECT * FROM UserT WHERE ComputerUsername = '" & ComputerUsername & "'"
    As a guide you should always debug without error handling being enabled.

Thank you. You are correct. With LoginUserSQL fixed, it seems it can run correctly. Let me test more.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.