Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ShaunG is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

yea i first tried this approach june7 but did not seem to work well for our setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    When I first suggested two code solutions, I wasn't aware that you were taking about multiple 'copies' of the same control in a continuous form.
    You can't do what you want.
    As you can see from design view, each record is actually using the same control.
    So if the first toggle is made true, it becomes true for all records.

Similarly if you wanted to disable a button in a continuous form, it is disabled for all records.
    im happy for all the toggles to be made either true or false depending on use but i can only seem to get the first record to work as Micron said above.

i have made a little work around that has helped which is - the controls to that field on subform is disable on load and then when i click a button on the parent form it creates the new order number and disables the controls for the user to assign the products to the order

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If toggle control is UNBOUND then it will show same value for ALL records. Control cannot be used to individually select records. If it is BOUND then you must change data in the field for all records if you want all to start as not selected. If you are seeing only first record change then the control is BOUND.

Two methods to change data in multiple records have already been suggested. Changing data is how user conflict can occur.

Why did conventional approach not work?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you have made this far more complicated than it has to be. If what was suggested in post 14 (?) didn't work, does that mean it wasn't the right method? Your current approach isn't working either, so why not apply the same logic and abandon this one as well? I hope you see my point.

I find it hard to follow the process. Seems like you're loading an order form after a user makes order choices, then providing a way to remove things that shouldn't be there. Rather than provide in form2 a means to modify what should have been done right in form1, why not just use form1 to update the order items? Sorry, but I don't see the sense in what you're doing. However, I do think I gave the solution already. I just can't elaborate because I can't follow the process/logic. If you think you have to stick with it for some reason, I think we're at the point where you'll have to upload a db copy and explain how to operate it and what the flow & outcome should be.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If toggle control is UNBOUND then it will show same value for ALL records. Control cannot be used to individually select records. If it is BOUND then you must change data in the field for all records if you want all to start as not selected. If you are seeing only first record change then the control is BOUND.

Two methods to change data in multiple records have already been suggested. Changing data is how user conflict can occur.

Why did conventional approach not work?
    ill try and explain my reasons it didnt work without confusing you, for example say we worked out 6 kitchens and 2 bathrooms for a particular job over 2-3 days, each time 1 kitchen or bathroom is worked out we create orders with order details for the material so its in the database and not on paper, each kitchen/bathroom could have several orders board, laminate, handles etc. after the whole job is worked out they would place the order but in this instance we could have any where from 8-24 order numbers.... to give give you an idea of why we order at the end sometimes is we get better pricing or project pricing if we order 60-100 boards which could be anywhere from $8,000.00. our dilemma is we can generally only give them 1 order number and some of the places we use a the order number has to be max of 10 numbers. im using autonumber to create our order numbers

im not trying to create a database with the material stored in it as that doesnt work in my instance as materials are constantly changing or being deleted and we do alot of 1 off orders.

ive tried to make the database simple for the guys in work shop who are computer illiterate to be able to log in, select the job they currently working on, and on 1 form they can see and select the joinery they are working on from a list in a subform and the materials needed for the unit comes up in another subform making them aware if the material has come in or not.

so instead of double handling ive created it this way so the guys can assign material to kitchen after they finished after 2-3 days of working out the 6 kitchens and 2 bathrooms they can open the form with all the assigned material that has not been ordered yet, select all the material that are from the same supplier and create a single order number for the selected material.

with in this i have also has created an Product reference number for each product that is assigned, for example say an order of handles comes in the person logging it into database also writes the product reference number on it and then goes where we store things. an employee can look up the order details for kitchen, then see if the handles have come in and using the product number find the correct box. because we could have 10 boxes of the same handles this eliminates the employee grabbing the box or what ever it is.

there is probably an easy way to do what i've created but i consider myself a noob and surprised i've gotten this far... lol happy for any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think you have made this far more complicated than it has to be. If what was suggested in post 14 (?) didn't work, does that mean it wasn't the right method? Your current approach isn't working either, so why not apply the same logic and abandon this one as well? I hope you see my point.

I find it hard to follow the process. Seems like you're loading an order form after a user makes order choices, then providing a way to remove things that shouldn't be there. Rather than provide in form2 a means to modify what should have been done right in form1, why not just use form1 to update the order items? Sorry, but I don't see the sense in what you're doing. However, I do think I gave the solution already. I just can't elaborate because I can't follow the process/logic. If you think you have to stick with it for some reason, I think we're at the point where you'll have to upload a db copy and explain how to operate it and what the flow & outcome should be.
    Micron yes that is correct im assigning material to jobs then creating orders, i've explained what i'm trying to do in my response to June7, theres a very good chance i have made it more complicated but as said above im very limited with what i know.
    im happy to up load a copy of the database and talk you through it, have a read of post#20 and let me know if that makes sense. cheers.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    From Post #20:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunG View Post
    <snip> im using autonumber to create our order numbers <snip>
    Not a good idea to use autonumbers for any real world meaning.
    Autonumbers are used for PK/FK linking of tables and should never be visible to users or have any real world meaning.

See
    Autonumbers--What they are NOT and What They Are

Microsoft Access Tables: Primary Key Tips and Techniques

June7 is online now VIP
    So maybe you need table for records of materials selected for job then an order details table that saves ID of the materials record. A 'find unmatched' query can retrieve the materials records not yet associated with order.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    From Post #20:

Not a good idea to use autonumbers for any real world meaning.
    Autonumbers are used for PK/FK linking of tables and should never be visible to users or have any real world meaning.

See
    Autonumbers--What they are NOT and What They Are

Microsoft Access Tables: Primary Key Tips and Techniques
    ssanfu yes i was made aware its not a good idea to use auto pk numbers for real world numbers when i first started building this database. at the time i wasnt able to come up with another way or get a code to work even with the help from others. in this instance people don't interact with it directly its just a reference and seems to be working well for now anyways. apart it being a bit of no no is there major reasons to not do this?

So maybe you need table for records of materials selected for job then an order details table that saves ID of the materials record. A 'find unmatched' query can retrieve the materials records not yet associated with order.
    sorry june7 im abit iffy on what you mean.. sorta sounds quite similar to what i have now. i have come up with an idea that seems to be getting me out of trouble - so when the form loads the toggle.enabled controls on subform are turned false if username and date is null, then when i create a new ordernumber with the click event on a button on main form, it puts in username, and date and creates the ordernumber and inturn turns the toggles.enabled on subform to true.

if i could assign the ordernumber from parent form to all records in the subform in 1 push of a button would solve another little problem i have, which is if 5 products are selected for an order and the ordernumber form is loaded, say i select all products but 1 of them as i may of made mistake, after completing this order when i close the forms and then reload them that 1 record that wasn't used in the order is still selected... but if i could turn all these control toggles to false on form load then if i dont select this product in the order when i reload the previous form it wouldnt be selected and bobs ya uncle.

June7 is online now VIP
    I am confused by that description. Provide db for analysis if you need more help.
    Last edited by June7; 09-05-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    have a read of post#20 and let me know if that makes sense.
    Kinda, sorta. After reading your subsequent posts, no. I'm as confused as everyone else I guess. Not sure a db copy will help as I would have thought June7's form/subform comment to be the way to go. Maybe we aren't seeing the reason for it not working due to
    6 kitchens and 2 bathrooms for a particular job
    I don't understand what a job is in your case. To me, that's anywhere from 1 to 8 jobs. What's a job? If you come to my house and do a kitchen and a bathroom is that 1 job or 2? To me, it depends on your definition. Maybe it's one job (one work order) because it's one site, but it's 2 work order tasks. Maybe a flow chart would help, but you'd need to take nothing for granted when it comes to your terminology. You can't assume we know what a job, or anything else, is.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Post #20
    <snip>.... our dilemma is we can generally only give them 1 order number and some of the places we use a the order number has to be max of 10 numbers. im using autonumber to create our order numbers
    Does that mean 1 to 10 characters? I would use a text field, with a custom generated "number".

Post #24
    <snip>.... apart it being a bit of no no is there major reasons to not do this?
    Not if you are OK with the possibility of the number (autonumber) going negative....... (even if the probability is low )
    (Long integers range from -2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,647. )

I am confused by that description. Provide db for analysis if you need more help.
    thanks June7 I will take all sensitive info and upload, if you could let me know what you think would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Kinda, sorta. After reading your subsequent posts, no. I'm as confused as everyone else I guess. Not sure a db copy will help as I would have thought June7's form/subform comment to be the way to go. Maybe we aren't seeing the reason for it not working due to I don't understand what a job is in your case. To me, that's anywhere from 1 to 8 jobs. What's a job? If you come to my house and do a kitchen and a bathroom is that 1 job or 2? To me, it depends on your definition. Maybe it's one job (one work order) because it's one site, but it's 2 work order tasks. Maybe a flow chart would help, but you'd need to take nothing for granted when it comes to your terminology. You can't assume we know what a job, or anything else, is.
    Micron yes i understand, we generally classify 1 address as 1 job... but even this we are discussing in the office to change and simplify as this sometimes doesn't work and the records would be to large to look through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.