kstrecker1701 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Can I create an option group without using the wizard?

Normally I'm a very patient person, but the fact that I can't find ANY data on doing this has my blood pressure rising like magma in a volcano.

I'm using Access 2013. I want to put a simple option group with two radio buttons on my form. No matter what I do, I can't get the Option Group Wizard to appear. No error message, nothing - I've checked the Control Wizards button, unchecked it, closed the form, closed the database, started a new form, used an existing form - NADA. All I get is a blank square with the label OLEBound5 (or whatever number attempt it is).

When I try to create radio buttons within this frame, they just sit there on the surface with no relation to the frame.

First - any clue on how I can get the wizard to function?

Second - what can I do to set the properties of this blank option group control so that it's bound to the correct table field? What else does the wizard do that I need to be aware of?

I know that if I get the option group control working properly, I'll have no problem placing the buttons and setting the values. PLEASE HELP!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    dont need the wizard.
    add frame, inside the frame add the options
    set each option to a value (1,2,3...)
    the FRAME.value is what option gets picked.

turn on wizard, in form design mode, in controls section,
    check USE WIZARD CONTROLS

Thanks for the quick response, Ranman. Can you be more specific?

Such as, how do I set each option to a value? The data properties I'm shown on the radio button's property sheet are Control Source, Triple State, Default Value, Validation Rule, Validation Text, Enabled and Locked. Is Default Value what I'm supposed to fill in with the number value for that option?

And then where do I specify the FRAME.value? The data properties for the frame are Control Source, Source Item, Source Doc, OLE Type Allowed, Class, Update Options, Display Type, Enabled and Locked.

I've checked Use Control Wizards a million times and the Option Group Wizard never shows.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    in form design:
    select option object
    properties,
    data tab,
    Option Value (set to 1 or 2 or 3....)

if user click option2 (value = 2)
    the Frame object value will = 2
    bind this to a field,
    or use it in a query: select * from table where [field]=forms!myForm!frame

I'm sorry to be repeating myself, but THERE IS NO PROPERTY FOR OPTION VALUE.

I know there's something missing in the form setup or something ... but this is really getting frustrating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option group.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	35273

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Those buttons are not part of Option Group, they are independent controls. Must first create Option Group control then buttons within it.

Option Group control is the icon with XYZ. If use wizard is active, place that control on form and wizard should open. I never use design wizards.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I appreciate your help with this, June7.

My main problem is that the wizard does not open when I place the Option Group control on the form, no matter whether the icon is checked or unchecked.

Once I place the control on the form, and there is no wizard guiding me, what should I do next?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No matter what I do, I can't get the Option Group Wizard to appear.
    Because you're adding a bound object frame, not an option frame, and there's no wizard for that. Both have XYZ in the image, but the object frame shows something like a mountain too.

In case you missed it, if not using the wizard, you must add the option frame first, make sure it's active, then select the option button from the control group. When you mouse over the frame, it will go black. Now you know the button will be associated with the frame. If this doesn't happen, you didn't select the frame before adding the button, and you will have un-associated buttons inside a frame. Remember also that if writing code based on a selection, the frame gets the option value and that is what you're checking - not the option button itself.

If you use the correct frame and have the control wizard turned on, you should get the wizard, which will prompt you to add the label values first.

EDIT: "Because you're adding a bound object frame, not an option frame," forgot to say that I figure this is your problem because your image shows OLEBOUND, not to mention that you say so in your post. I think my esteemed peers missed that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Option Group frame is just a box with XYZ at top. Sits between Navigation Form and Page Break icons.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

HOLY HELL. However I got misdirected, that one small detail sure caused me a ton of anxiety and wasted time. THANK YOU guys for noticing that and helping me out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.