ghodges is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2000

Unhappy is there a Size Limit to reports???

I have a database that I use to keep details of items in stock for sale

The database has about 5500 records and each item has an associated jpg file ( obviouly not embedded)

I print this to adobe acrobat and generate a pdf file for all to reference the data

The reports that i am running works properly untill very rescently when we receive a bit more stock.

The size of the report went from 870 pages to 905 pages and It started generating errors:

" 2114 Mircosoft office access doesnt support the format of the file i:\barcodes\pic_db_small\osd\osd931245623.jpg or file is too large. try converting the file to BMP or GIF format"

The error is generated for each of the 6 files per page which should be printed on the last 35 pages ( ie 180 times) and nothing comes out on the report at all except the headings.

The error message is clearly incorrect as it can display those picture files.

I also notice that pages 850 to 870 print very much slower than all the other pages

Is it possible i am running out of memory? and if so how do i go about addressing the problem?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i realy am at a loss in which direction to proceed?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    yes, you are running out of memory in the report object size. This is a very obscure issue which I have resolved a few years back on a project but don't remember at the moment the details and thus don't have a fix at my finger tips. For sure reducing the bit size of the images is one approach - whether or not that is feasible I can not say. But it is something to review.

If your images are all 1M and can be downsized universally to 20k - then you've bought yourself alot of breathing room. But if that isn't the case and the downsizing is not significant or doesn't involve alot of images - then one is just delaying the inevitable (though sometimes delaying the inevitable is very adequate).

There is a technique somewhere in the OS to mass downsize images - though that is another point I don't have stored in the braincells at hand.

I had this issue with 2003 and I note that you are using 2000. It is possible the issue is not a problem with the newer 2007/2010 but I am not sure.

Clearly another approach is management - not technical - and to subdivide that report into some logical set of subreports. Afterall no human can deal with that much anyway.

hope this helps a little.

Windows 7 Access 2000
    thanks for your input, I do appreciate it

Unfortunately all of my pictures are in the order of 40k to 25k already and i cant go much lower and retain the detail that i need

just your comfirmation is a a warm re-inforcement that i am travelling in the correct direction.

I have been running around looking for loose variables that called over and over build up and block up..

If you do have some further recollections i would be very interested to hear..........

thanks again for your input.

Windows 7 Access 2000
    oh.........

Windows 7 Access 2000
    I dont really want to break the report up, as there is a consistant index right the way through the report .

I generate the index automatically and stitch the index onto the main report with acobat......this is done manually

generating subreports would turn this process of page numbering into a nightmare

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    before going too far down the memory issue; be sure to sanity check those images that are throwing the error. click on them and make sure they display ok. it is always possible you make a cockpit error and they actually are not working correctly and that it is not the memory issue.

my situation was a report that was image intensive - that upon growing started throwing the same type issue. upon alot of research I found some Q&A among MVPs on this point that there was some memory leaking/max in the report object. I was able to downsize the image file size by 2/3 without losing critical resolution; and everything worked. This may be your same situation.

If you could at all acquire a machine with Access2007/2010 - it would be very interesting to try it on them to see if the issue persists. easier said than done sometimes.

5500 records is a nit, but 900 pages and that many images (900+?) - it could be that you are discovering Access2000 report object limits...and will need to get creative.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.