Robyn_P is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Bound combo box returns wrong values when ID field hidden, correct if visible

Okay, this is a weird one. I have a bound form with two related combo boxes, cboDiscipline and cboSytem.cboSystem is based on a table with three fields, ID, System and Discipline.

The combo box is set up so that it only displays the system values that has a discipline as recorded in cboDiscipline (criteria [Forms]![frmUpdateACS]![cboDiscipline].

This works fine when the ID field in cboSystem is displayed, formatted to have a column width of 1cm, but when I hide it, formatted to have a column width of zero, the combo box is always generating a list of options as if the discipline ID is 1, and hence is wrong in all cases except where this is the case meaning the System data is not displayed.

The data in the discipline combo box is always displayed correctly. I'm completely stumped. This doesn't seem like it should be possible. All I'm changing is the formatting to not display the first column. It's still there in the query. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Robyn_P; 08-07-2018 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Formatting

PS, I've already done a compact and repair on the database which didn't help. It looks like something must have got corrupted. It's so weird

Hi again, I'm wrong, even with the ID column showing the list of available options doesn't change. I thought it was working because at least it displays the ID, whereas with this hidden, the text version wasn't displaying. Do I need to requery the cboSystem combo box on record change?

Yep, that fixed it. Bit premature with the question, but hey maybe it'll help someone else. Thanks anyway.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.