NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Need help formatting chart

I hope someone can help me with this problem, I can't afford to lose any more hair!

I am working on a report with a chart based on a query to track total accidents by month in different areas ([Area1]...[Area4]). I also have a field which totals the previous years accidents ([Prev]). The user enters the year requested on a form as the query parameter.

The data comes out right on the chart, but the problem is with the formatting. I have set up the different areas as a stacked column chart, each with its own color, and the previous year as a line chart on the same axis. However, when I select a year to preview, the areas have changed colors, and the [Area2] & [Prev] series have swapped chart types.

What I would like is for [Area1] to always be a yellow column, [Area2] to always be a blue column, [Area3] to always be a red column, [Area4] to always be a green column, & [Prev] to always be a line chart. Is this possible?

I have only been working in Access for about 2 years, and this is my first time working with charts, so your "Access For Dummies" description is the only chance I have of getting this working.

Thanks in advance for any help!

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It's been a few years since I've done reporting charts in MSAccess but as I recall years ago, you can do it 1 of 2 ways. Either embed an excel chart into the report itself or use the MSAccess charting report. I remember that it was sometimes easier to use one method versus the other for different kinds of charts. I also would create some make-table queries to make things easier and just base the chart off the newly created 'totals' table.

I do recall struggling with getting certain colors and getting the % and other lines to format correctly in the report. Sometimes it was just easier to embed an excel chart itself into the report versus using the MSAccess chart tool.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.