ItsRoland is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Methods of Sharing an Access Database?

I realize there's probably a lot about this all over the place, but I was having a difficult time finding the exact info I was looking for, so I'm hoping someone here will know.

I want to build a database that my friends and I can use. My friends wouldn't be helping me build it, just reaping the rewards of what I build. But, none of my friends have MS Access. I don't need them to be able to do anything other than interact with a form to look up information. They don't need to add or change any information, just view it. I saw some paid solutions for this via sharepoint, but for something that's just for myself and a few friends, I really can't justify a monthly payment.

I saw that I could split the database into front and back end, and just send them the front end, but wouldn't that require them to have MS Access?

Are there any alternatives I should turn to for this? The database software I'm most familiar with is Access, but could I build it in Access and then convert it over to something better suited to what I'm trying to do?

I would very much like to just let people view a form since I already know how to build it exactly the way I want it, but if that isn't possible is there anything comparable I can do?

I apologize if this was all over the place. If anyone can give me some information or point me in a direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Explore AccessRuntime. A MS freebie that allows users to run Access database but not design.

Alternatively, Excel can link to Access db.

Sounds like you don't even need to split db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Code:
    I saw some paid solutions for this via sharepoint
    As June stated your friends can use the runtime to run an app but if your intention is to share one backend file you'll have to probably do things differently.
    Access doesn't play nice over the internet but there are a few options.

ItsRoland is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Runtime would work for what I'm trying to do, but if I did want to share it over the internet what are my options? I'm assuming Access forms don't stick around when you convert the database to something else. Is there anything similar to Access forms in alternative solutions, or would I have to build it from the ground up in that case?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    access is a client based application - it needs to be installed on your machine that is a given, be it the full version or the runtime version (just as you need a web browser to access the web, excel or equivalent to open an excel file). As soon as you start talking internet you are into spending money. To do it for free, ensure you friends have runtime installed and email them the db. Or instead of emailing put on something like onedrive and have them copy it to their machine - it wont work if run on onedrive.

when you convert the database
    to be clear access is not a database.

access is an application that enables the developer to easily create forms and reports and link to a database (which might be ACE which comes free with access), or to many other types such as sql server, oracle etc. In your head you need to keep separate data (i.e. tables) and forms and reports. So when sharing with friends you are sharing two quite separate things, data - and the means to view/query etc the data. Each have alternatives - data in other databases, forms created in html and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRoland View Post
    Runtime would work for what I'm trying to do, but if I did want to share it over the internet what are my options? I'm assuming Access forms don't stick around when you convert the database to something else. Is there anything similar to Access forms in alternative solutions, or would I have to build it from the ground up in that case?
    In case your forms are simple, Azure will be an option. You all must have an Azure account with Access. You design the application and allow access for your friends. I'm haven't looked what is there in latest versions - a couple of years ago I looked at it, but found it too primitive for my needs. But when you can do without subforms, you can try.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    You've said that your friends will just view a form but not edit data.
    However you haven't said whether you will be updating the data on a regular basis..

If it's just for reference and won't change (or will only rarely change), I see no point in doing anything other than runtime.
    You can easily distribute via the internet as a zip file or create a self extracting exe file using an installer package.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.