securitywyrm is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Query with line break divided lines of data?

I have a contacts database that has position and program titles for many individuals. Some people have dozens of positions, some just have one. I want to create a query that would output something like this

Contact email | Program and position title (Line break) Program and position title (line break) Program and position title)
    Live example
    John Smith | Nephrology Program coordinator (Line break) Rheumatology Site Director (Line break) Rheumatology TMS Coordinator
    Jane Doe | Rheumatology program coordinator (Line break) Cardiology Site director (Line break) Urology program coordinator

That way I can just feed that into a mail merge document and email each person a list of their current positions. Is this possible with SQL queries?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes, it is, look at the Join function (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba.../join-function). I also have a sample custom function on my site (http://forestbyte.com/vba-code-samples/) called JoinFromArray that I use in queries. I assume the positions are in a different table with a ContactID as a foreign key.

Cheers,
    Vlad

That's some amazing code. It's a few orders of magntiude above what I can do, but I THINK I understand WHAT it does, if you could confirm.

Let's say we have a table of "Names and email addresses" and a table of "Names, position title and program name."

This function will let you take the output of the second query (Name, position title, program name), and merge it into a column output of the first query. Thus it would be "Name | Email address | Array from second query matching name value"

Is that correct?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes, you pass it the foreign key field name, the value (from the first query), the name of the second query, the delimiter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    Yes, you pass it the foreign key field name, the value (from the first query), the name of the second query, the delimiter, etc.
    Fantastic. I sent in an email requesting a quote from your site, seems like you have all the code I need implemented into these databases.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Is QBFMailingList the query where you want the new field?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.