JAL3 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Access and OneDrive

I have created a very simple DB that contains two tables at present. So far, the table are not even connected, though they will both be connected to a third table that has yet to be created. Each table has a field with a short text type whose sole purpose is to store a path to an image file. Both tables have analogous forms and reports that correctly display the images linked by the text field.

So far, so good.

I have two computers. One is a giant beast of a video editing station that is at home. The DB was created on this machine. I also use a laptop at the church, the hospitals I serve etc.

All of the files are stored in one drive folders. In fact, the only purpose for the One Drive account is to keep the directory and file structures of the two machines the same.

I have noticed that when I open the DB on the laptop, everything seems to work except that the images are not displayed on the forms or reports. The correct paths for the images are still retained but all that is shown in the image fields is the default "choose an imaged" file. I can choose an image on the laptop and everything for that record will work fine on the laptop. When I get to the desktop machine, the same issue manifests in reverse. The fields are all fine but I have to go through and re-link all the images for them to show up.

What am I missing about OneDrive mirroring everything in the selected path structure? As long as everything is the same, shouldn't Access work properly?

Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If I'm not mistaken, One Drive is a form of WAN and although I've read you can coerce Access to share a db over One Drive, I think most of my esteemed peers here would tell you to NEVER share a db over a WAN (or wireless either). Modification of a OD file is done locally AFAIK, so even if you have a slow connection, once you've downloaded it edits are quick. The modified file is sent back to OD. You could never reliably share this db over OD, so my suggestion would be to save it on a thumb drive, load it onto the local pc and work on it there. Then save back to the thumb drive. Of course, you could buy into a terminal services/Citrix type of format, but I doubt that would be financially feasible for your purposes.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

JAL3 is offline Novice
    I thank you for the kindness of you're reply. I suspose I should have gone with my instinct that "nothing good can come of this" when I first noticed the issue. In practical terms, this means that I will be able to work on my project only sporadically when I'm at the house and have nothing else claiming my attention.

I am still curious, however, as to the nature of the original problem. In my current state, there is no issued of somebody modifying a record and it not having time to propagate to me. I am the only one using either of the systems. I am either at the house or at the church or 3 hours away at one of the hospitals. My admittedly sketchy understanding of One Drive would seem to lead to the conclusion that at the time scales I am dealing with, the versions should be the same.

On a different matter, what part of Ontario are you in? I used to get up there at least once a year, oftentimes twice but have not been since 2006. I miss it.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I am still curious, however, as to the nature of the original problem.
    It seems simplistic to say that it's because something about the path isn't the same from pc to pc, but I don't know what else to suggest as I'm not an expert on OD. Try right clicking on each pc and looking at the properties of the drive. The only other thing I can think of is related to my comment about it not being part of a LAN, but rather is really only like a web based file server. Thus you aren't making a connection/dowload of the images until you ask for them - which is basically what you're doing by setting the linked picture property again. I'm no expert on this stuff, so if anyone wants to correct me I have no problem with that.

Southwestern-most part of Lake Ontario. I don't mind divulging more than that in a PM but old f@6t5 like me worry about advertising it to the world. We have enough problems with the tax people (CRA) and FBI scammers calling to put us in jail if we don't immediately pay up with iTunes cards and the like, if you get my drift.

JAL3 is offline Novice
    I'll take another look at the paths when I get back to the coast. I'm a few hours away from the desktop machine until tomorrow.

I get the general gist of the area and understand. I've still got some friends in the Kingston area and I used to spend a lot of time in the Maritimes as well.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.