t_dot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 97

Post Append Query position

Hi, I am quite new to using access and I have a database set up with date, title and event. I have a table with 2000 entries and have created a form to add new entries to the table -- where lies my problem. I have created an append query with each column of the table that references the table and each references the correct combobox/textfield on the form. I have a "submit" button on the form that runs the query with the data entered on the form. After I click submit, a confirmation message comes up and I click yes to run the query. Then a second window comes up that says "You are about to append 0 row(s)" -- which is not my intention.

It's probably a small thing, but I have never used this append function before and am not totally sure how it runs. What do I need to do to make it append the data that it is passed?

Thanks

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Is there a reason you're using a query instead of just having the form bound to the table? Does the error give you any other info (key violations, etc)? Make sure the append query is populating all fields that are set to required in the table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

t_dot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 97
    I am only using a query because I thought that I had to; is it easier to attach the form to the table? I know how to open the form with the button on the form, but how can I get it to append the new data to the end of the table?

There is no error the way that I have it set up now, everything runs through fine and it successfully appends 0 rows as it says... I just don't know why it appends 0 when I have information in the form and the query has reference to each piece.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The easiest and most common method is to bind the form to the table. Data entered on the form will get added to the table automatically. You set the record source of the form to the table, and the control source of each textbox to the appropriate field name.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

t_dot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 97
    Okay, I managed to bind the form and reference all of the boxes to the table and the information from the form ended up in the table. However, the entry wrote over the top of the first entry in the table and as I add new data, it just keeps putting it in that first spot. How can I make it add it to the bottom and go to a new line each time?

t_dot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 97
    Oops! I was searching to see if anyone else had the same problem and I see that you've already answered that before. Problem solved! You're a lifesaver -- THANKS!!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Unless you tell it otherwise, the form opens with all records in the table available, displaying the first. You can use any number of methods to get to a new record (which will be at the end), including clicking on the >* navigation button at the bottom of the form (unless you hid them). If you only want to use the form for data entry, set its Data Entry property to Yes. With the default settings, as you type into the last control on the form, it should save that record, clear the screen and go to the first control.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    This is what happens when you get distracted while typing.

Glad you got it sorted out.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.