Ted C is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Append Records using MultiSelect Listbox

It appears that I can't accomplish this without writing some code, so I'll need some help from people who know Visual Basic.

The objective is to create enrollment records for students in a class session.
    • I have a table of class sessions with a primary key of "ClassEventID".
    • I have a table of students with a primary key of "StudentID".
    • I have a table for class attendance (ClassAttendance) with a primary key of "AttendanceID". It also has "ClassEventID" and "StudentID" as foreign keys.
    I have a form with a list field bound to the "ClassEventID" of the table of sessions (ClassEvents).

I have a MultiSelect list box (lstStudentIDs) bound to the "StudentID" column of a query that pulls a list of all active students.

I have created an enrollment button (btnEnroll).

I need code for the btnEnroll button's click event that will append a record to the ClassAttendance table for every selected student in the lstStudentIDs listbox.

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Some, but my ability to read VB is limited (if this were C#, it would be much easier).

Is this what would go in the click event for the Enroll button? I'm not seeing anything that looks like SQL, so I don't see how the records are being added.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I've added your sample db code and renamed objects for my database.

Code:
    Private Sub btnEnroll_Click()
      Dim strSQL        As String
      Dim db            As DAO.Database
      Dim rs            As DAO.Recordset
      Dim ctl           As Control
      Dim varItem       As Variant
      On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
      Set db = CurrentDb()
      Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("tblClassAttendance", dbOpenDynaset, dbAppendOnly)
      'make sure a selection has been made
      If Me.lstStudentIDs.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
        MsgBox "Must select at least 1 student"
        Exit Sub
      End If
      If Not IsNumeric(Me.SessionID) Then
        MsgBox "Must enter numeric Session ID"
        Exit Sub
      End If
      'add selected value(s) to table
      Set ctl = Me.lstStudentIDs
      For Each varItem In ctl.ItemsSelected
        rs.AddNew
        rs!EmpID = ctl.ItemData(varItem)
        rs!OtherValue = Me.SessionID
        rs.Update
      Next varItem
    ExitHandler:
      Set rs = Nothing
      Set db = Nothing
      Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
      Select Case Err
        Case Else
          MsgBox Err.Description
          DoCmd.Hourglass False
          Resume ExitHandler
      End Select
    End Sub
    Should I now be able to execute it? I still don't see the SQL "string" defined or called anywhere.

Windows XP Access 2007
    VB is practically like English. The records are added using the AddNew method of a recordset. For multiple records, that's more efficient that using SQL for each. Looking at your second post, you'd need to adjust the field names to match yours.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    VB is practically like English. The records are added using the AddNew method of a recordset. For multiple records, that's more efficient that using SQL for each. Looking at your second post, you'd need to adjust the field names to match yours.
    Is the strSQL variable used within that AddNew method, then? I'm just wondering why it's defined but never given a value.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No, that's a "my bad". I use code templates and it got added by my DAO recordset template. I should have deleted it. Sorry about that.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    No, that's a "my bad". I use code templates and it got added by my DAO recordset template. I should have deleted it. Sorry about that.
    So I need to write an append query and have it used in the function somehow, but I'm not sure how it should work.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No, you don't need SQL. These lines are adding the record:

rs.AddNew
    rs!EmpID = ctl.ItemData(varItem)
    rs!OtherValue = Me.SessionID
    rs.Update

The first tells it you want to add a new record. The middle two lines are the lines that set specific fields to specific values. The last finalizes the insert. You would modify the middle two to your fields, adding more fields if necessary. The EmpID line is the one getting the current value from the listbox.

If you want to do it with SQL, you'd do something like this instead of those 4 lines:

db.Execute "INSERT INTO ..."

but you have to concatenate the values from the form into the SQL, which can be tricky if you haven't done it before. Like I said, the recordset method is faster for multiple inserts.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003
    I think I've got it worked out. I got rows added to the attendance table. The db is acting odd in other ways, but I think they're unrelated.

RobertD0275 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I Need Help On a similar issue guys

I read through your tutorial listed here and tried to modify the code with no luck. I am self taught on this so I am learning, but not familiar at all with list boxes or better yet multiselect boxes. Here is the issue:

I have 3 tables, 1 with my user info (EndUserID, UserID, and FullName), 1 with All my software (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD), and 1 empty table to store infor from prior 2 tables. the third table uses a unique key of SoftID2, the other fields are Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD, EndUserID, FullName.

I have a sub form (subfrmUserSoftware) that is attached via a child linked tab to my UserForm. it is filtered based on the EndUserID to display only entried from the 3rd table that matches the Enduser ID from the endusers and usersoftware tables.

I have a button to ADD software, which opens a form called subfrmSoftwareSelect, which contains a listbox which quiries the first table containing all my software (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD) are all visible. I also have a button Labeled "Select to Assign".

The listbox IS A MULTISELECT (Basic) listbox. I need to know how to run this so that when I click the select to assign button, it will make a table entry for each item that I have highlighted (say 5 at a time for example), have i write the 5 records to the third (empty table right now) with all the fields (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD), as well as the EndUserID, UserID and FullName from the Form as well.

So what I will have at the end on the second (now blank) table is an entry for each piece of software that user has assigned to them, the enduserid, the domain (Userid), thier full name and all of the information from the main software table for each entry.

Then my child linked subform will be able to display what software they have in thier user details form.

Please help. I can send my db if needed.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I read through your tutorial listed here and tried to modify the code with no luck. I am self taught on this so I am learning, but not familiar at all with list boxes or better yet multiselect boxes. Here is the issue:

I have 3 tables, 1 with my user info (EndUserID, UserID, and FullName), 1 with All my software (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD), and 1 empty table to store infor from prior 2 tables. the third table uses a unique key of SoftID2, the other fields are Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD, EndUserID, FullName.

I have a sub form (subfrmUserSoftware) that is attached via a child linked tab to my UserForm. it is filtered based on the EndUserID to display only entried from the 3rd table that matches the Enduser ID from the endusers and usersoftware tables.

I have a button to ADD software, which opens a form called subfrmSoftwareSelect, which contains a listbox which quiries the first table containing all my software (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD) are all visible. I also have a button Labeled "Select to Assign".

The listbox IS A MULTISELECT (Basic) listbox. I need to know how to run this so that when I click the select to assign button, it will make a table entry for each item that I have highlighted (say 5 at a time for example), have i write the 5 records to the third (empty table right now) with all the fields (SoftID, Vendor, Description, CostUS, CostCAD), as well as the EndUserID, UserID and FullName from the Form as well.

So what I will have at the end on the second (now blank) table is an entry for each piece of software that user has assigned to them, the enduserid, the domain (Userid), thier full name and all of the information from the main software table for each entry.

Then my child linked subform will be able to display what software they have in thier user details form.

Please help. I can send my db if needed.

Windows XP Access 2007
    If you want to post your db with the failing code, we'll try to fix it.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry to have bothered you. I found a workaround using your sample code. It posted the softwareID for the software, and I used your other field to post the enduserID by using the =Nz(Forms![3frmUserDetails].[txtEndUserID]). This gave the 2 primary numbers I needed. Then I made a continuous form that pulled data from a query using the User table, the and the software table to fill in the blanks.

It now allows me to make a 2 line entry rather than 6 or 7, and I can easliy add and delete multiple entries from the resulting filtered form (filtered by EndUserID).

Thanks so much for answering so quickly.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, glad you got it working.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.