Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Antonio is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Antonio

OK, here is the full dataset. The fields and table names are slightly different, so I have modified your current unmatched records SQL statement accordingly, to this:

SELECT Solicit.ContactID, Solicit.SolicitCode
    FROM Solicit LEFT JOIN Attribute ON (Solicit.SolicitCode = Attribute.AttributeCode) AND (Solicit.ContactID = Attribute.ContactID)
    WHERE (((Attribute.AttributeCode) Is Null));

Here is the full dataset:

In fact its not the full dataset, because it was too large to attach. But its got a good chunk of real data.

The kind of criteria I need to add follows this kind of prniciple:

Where Solicit.SolicitCode = 'Postal opt out' and the Attribute.AttributeCode = 'Postal opt in', do NOT select the record
    Where Solicit.SolicitCode = 'Postal opt in' and the Attribute.AttributeCode = 'Postal opt out', do NOT select the record
    Where Solicit.SolicitCode = 'Email opt out' and the Attribute.AttributeCode = 'Email opt in', do NOT select the record
    Where Solicit.SolicitCode = 'Email opt in' and the Attribute.AttributeCode = 'Email opt out', do NOT select the record
    Attached Files Attached Files

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    OK - at last there's enough data to see the point of doing this ....
    Just had a short break from DIY and have I believe got a definitive result for you

I've left in my previous queries but not used them here

Various queries added whilst I was working out the best strategy.

The important ones are:
    - qrySolicitCodesToIgnore - this finds the opposing opt in / opt out codes you want excluded - only 12 of these it seems
    - qrySolicitCodesToKeep - this uses the above query and the Solicit table to find remaining codes you do want - 9987 out of 9999 in the Solicit table

Hopefully I've got the correct idea!
    If I have, you should be able to 'upscale' to apply to the entire dataset

OK back to the DIY now ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Antonio is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    ridders52,

You did have the right idea, although you slightly misunderstood my initial question, and actually gave me a more concise (better!) answer in the end, but actually what I was looking to do was write all possible text strings out - because I am a newbie to Access, it helps me to keep track on whats going on! In other words I wrote your SolicitCodesToIgnore as:

SELECT DISTINCT Solicit.ContactID, Solicit.SolicitCode, Attribute.AttributeCode
    FROM Attribute INNER JOIN Solicit ON Attribute.ContactID = Solicit.ContactID
    WHERE ((Solicit.SolicitCode="Email opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Email opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Email opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Email opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Postal opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Postal opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Postal opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Postal opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Telephone opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Telephone opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Telephone opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Telephone opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="SMS opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="SMS opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="SMS opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="SMS opt in"));

But basically I understood all your queries (well, actually the SolcitCodesToKeep only partly, but the important thing is it returns the correct data!), and have adapted to my use.

And the point is that you have solved the problem!

You have no idea how much I have appreciated your help. I would have not been able to deliver what I am doing at the moment for a client.

So an immense thank you to you!!!

If there is something I can do for you in return, just let me know!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    ridders52,
    You did have the right idea, although you slightly misunderstood my initial question, and actually gave me a more concise (better!) answer in the end, but actually what I was looking to do was write all possible text strings out - because I am a newbie to Access, it helps me to keep track on whats going on! In other words I wrote your SolicitCodesToIgnore as:

SELECT DISTINCT Solicit.ContactID, Solicit.SolicitCode, Attribute.AttributeCode
    WHERE ((Solicit.SolicitCode="Email opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Email opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Email opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Email opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Postal opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Postal opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Postal opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Postal opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Telephone opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Telephone opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="Telephone opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="Telephone opt in") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="SMS opt in" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="SMS opt out") OR
    (Solicit.SolicitCode="SMS opt out" AND Attribute.AttributeCode="SMS opt in"));

But basically I understood all your queries (well, actually the SolcitCodesToKeep only partly, but the important thing is it returns the correct data!), and have adapted to my use.

And the point is that you have solved the problem!

You have no idea how much I have appreciated your help. I would have not been able to deliver what I am doing at the moment for a client.

So an immense thank you to you!!!

If there is something I can do for you in return, just let me know!
    You're welcome

Whilst I can see why you want to 'spell out' exactly what your 'ignore' query does, for the benefit of anyone else reading this, compare your query (above) with my more concise version:
    Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT Solicit.ContactID, Solicit.SolicitCode, Attribute.AttributeCode, Left([SolicitCode],InStr([SolicitCode]," ")) AS IgnoreCodeType
    WHERE (((Attribute.AttributeCode)<>[SolicitCode]) AND ((Left([SolicitCode],InStr([SolicitCode]," ")))=Left([AttributeCode],InStr([AttributeCode]," "))));
    Both give the same results.

ContactID SolicitCode AttributeCode IgnoreCodeType
    4756 Email opt in Email opt out Email
    6044 Email opt in Email opt out Email
    6044 Email opt out Email opt in Email
    6044 Postal opt out Postal opt in Postal
    6297 Postal opt out Postal opt in Postal
    6297 Telephone opt out Telephone opt in Telephone
    7592 Postal opt out Postal opt in Postal
    8054 Email opt out Email opt in Email
    9262 Email opt out Email opt in Email
    9912 Email opt in Email opt out Email
    12041 Postal opt out Postal opt in Postal
    20725 Email opt out Email opt in Email

However your 'explicit' version only works if you KNOW that none of the other types will be listed in the 'opposite incarnation'
    For example Everyday hero Opt in / out or others such as DARQ / DARQ updates only (whatever that means)
    The real advantage of the 'concise' version is not just its relative brevity but also that it covers all possible eventualities

The other query of codes to keep is:
    Code:
    SELECT Solicit.ContactID, Solicit.SolicitCodeFROM Solicit 
    LEFT JOIN qrySolicitCodesToIgnore ON (Solicit.SolicitCode = qrySolicitCodesToIgnore.SolicitCode) AND (Solicit.ContactID = qrySolicitCodesToIgnore.ContactID)
    WHERE (((qrySolicitCodesToIgnore.ContactID) Is Null) AND ((qrySolicitCodesToIgnore.SolicitCode) Is Null));
    All that does is get all the codes from your solicit table which aren't in the list of 12 codes listed in the ignore query

Many thanks for what I thought was an extremely positive reputation comment
    The forum software somehow thinks it was 'somewhat positive'

If you want to show appreciation for my responses or those of other forum users, that is the very best way to do so.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.