jlgray0127 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Unique Value and Auto Populate

I'm building a scheduling database for a manufacturing facility. I'm sure this is a fairly easy one, but am drawing a blank, as it's been a few years since I've done something like this.

What I need to do, is we are keeping track of the number of units we build for each product. Lets call them A1A, A1B, A1C, etc...

What I'd like to do, is just keep track of the number of builds per unit. Ea build will always be qty of 1 and on a separate record. So when the scheduler is creating his build slot, the build name is something like

ITEM BUILD
    A1A 1
    A1A 2
    A1B 1
    A1B 2
    A1B 3

How can I set it up, so when he enters A1B, it auto populates the next build ID? He puts in A1B, and Access automatically fills in Build 4 for the next order he keys in?
    He'll be keying in a form, and I can have a separate table just tracking the Item and Build #, but I'm not sure how to get it work, so the Form is pulling the build ID from this table by the last entry for that part, and adding a 1 to it...

Thanks in advance! I'm sure it's so easy, I'll feel pretty dumb when I see the answer! LOL
    Thanks, again!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'll feel pretty dumb when I see the answer!
    I doubt it. It's not always that simple, especially in a shared db situation. Can 2 people be creating build records at the same time for A1A because there's more than 1 station? If so, 2 records for the same build id could be on the go at the same time. Can I exit without completing the record and leave 4 in the table with no item ID? If so, guess what happens for the next A1A. If you commit any part of the record, either consciously or not (simply navigating to a new record in a multi record form would be an example of unconsciously) will 4 be saved in the table?

Want the simple answer? If build id is a number, you can use DMax to get the highest number for A1A and increase it by 1. If it's text, it's more complicated to do so.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.