lccrews is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Unsure if VBA or query is best to use.

I have a table that contains all ingredients. I have another table that has the formulas for all our recipes. Some ingredients have sub-ingredients though which aren't listed in the formulas. I have a query/form that will pull up the current formula, but it doesn't contain the sub-ingredients. For the reader's essay, ingredients are stored like this: "123456 - SUGAR" and if they have a sub or 10 sub-ingredients, it'll look like this: "123456S1 - SOMETHING".

I'd like to know if it's possible to add a button that, when clicked, will search each ingredient listed in the formula for anything S*. Meaning if "123456 - SUGAR" is listed in the formula, it will search for 123456" to add all related sub-ingredients.

Here's a monkey-wrench for ya... Not all ingredients have exactly 6 digit descriptions. Some have 8.

Thank you for any advice/help.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Instead of hyphenated value, would be better as two fields. What is 123456, formula ID?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    123456 is the ingredient designation. 123456 - SUGAR ... It has a unique ID (the primary key)

The reason they are hyphenated is because the information is tied together and used in lookups all over the database. If I parsed them, how could I achieve my goal? Is there a way to accomplish it without parsing them?
    Last edited by lccrews; 04-05-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: elaborated answer.

June7 is offline VIP
    I am sure there is but I need a better understanding of data structure and relationships.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Okay, the form I am working on is a formulation form. One that pulls the formulas from tbl_Formulas and combines it with information from tbl_RawMaterial to make a new table tmp_Formula. Raw material is stored in the aforementioned manner due to lookups all over the database needing both parts ("123456" & "SUGAR") together. Currently, sub-ingredients are not listed in tbl_Formulas. The goal here is to automate the identification of the "S*" portion of any ingredient and add it from tbl_RawMaterial to tmp_Formula. Once the process is complete, the formula from tbl_Formulas is replaced with tmp_Formula via a delete query and an append query.

I'm a little confused at what you mean by data structure. Do you want a list of the fields? Relationship-wise, tbl_RawMaterial.RawMaterial = tbl_Formulas.RawMaterial. That's the only relationship in play here.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I figured it out. Query 1: Raw Material: Left([RawMaterial],6) and Query 2: RawMaterial WHERE RawMaterial=Like [Raw Material] & "*"

I'm sure I can use an unmatched query to append sub-ingredients from query 2 to tmp_formula.

Thanks for the help though June.
    Last edited by lccrews; 04-05-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo

June7 is offline VIP
    Confused as well. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.