securitywyrm is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to find source of "The setting you entered isn't valid for this property" when opening table?

I've inherited a table I don't have the authority to replace, and I thus need to "fix." I suspect a lot of the issues I'm having attempting to append and update this table have to do with an error I get when opening it. Upon opening, the error "The setting you entered isn't valid for this property" displays three times, and then I can see the data. The help button is, of course, no specific help.

Unfortunately this table is 130 fields long, and I don't even know what a third of the fields do. How can I track down what fields are generating these three errors?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    These are a bear to track down, since theres no debug...
    i would remove properties of the fields : validation settings, warnings, etc.

Do these on the form, when data is entered. Easier to fix.

If none exist, then there must be a form or query putting data there.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    have you tried compact and repair?

it is possible there is an error in your data or perhaps early onset corruption which can be caused if db not split and multiple users are sharing.

As a first instance, once the table is open, select say the first 10 columns and sort (from the ribbon) if you get an error, at least one of those columns will be the issue. So refine down.

Alternatively suggest take a copy of the table, delete a field, open the table, repeat for all fields or until you find which ones are causing the issue.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Or create a query with the first few fields and see if it opens without the error
    If not, delete fields one at a time till the error goes away
    If it's ok add a few more fields and repeat till the error occurs.
    Once you've identified the field or fields causing the errors, possibly three fields, then you can start working on the fixes.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    Or create a query with the first few fields and see if it opens without the error
    If not, delete fields one at a time till the error goes away
    If it's ok add a few more fields and repeat till the error occurs.
    Once you've identified the field or fields causing the errors, possibly three fields, then you can start working on the fixes.
    A query for * comes back without any error. I get this error when opening the table itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    have you tried compact and repair?

it is possible there is an error in your data or perhaps early onset corruption which can be caused if db not split and multiple users are sharing.

As a first instance, once the table is open, select say the first 10 columns and sort (from the ribbon) if you get an error, at least one of those columns will be the issue. So refine down.

Alternatively suggest take a copy of the table, delete a field, open the table, repeat for all fields or until you find which ones are causing the issue.
    Unfortunately the actual data is in sharepoint lists, and the access is just my interface. There are 130 fields and I tried the 'sort by' for the first 40 and got no errors.

marcnz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi,
    Not sure if still relevant, but I had the same issue in running a query with 2 tables linked to a SQL server back end.
    I did a table relink via the Tables Link Manager and it fixed this annoying pop up.
    Again, I cannot thank Microsoft enough for the amazing detailed and so helpful investigating error pop up messages... (This is French sarcasm!)...
    Maybe this can help someone with a similar issue.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.