sanal is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Is there any way to prevent the conversion of accdr database to other format

I compile my database to accde and convert it as accdr for deployment. But I come to know that the accdr can easily been converted to acdde and in the accde everyone can access to my tables and they can delete or change any field in it and make my database nothing.I am very much disappointed by this aspect. Later I know that the database can split into front end and back end and back end can be protected by a password.But I again disappointed when knowing that the front end have also the linked tables and that can also be edited by the user. I am very much distressed by this fact and decided to make a final attempt for a solution. I know that if there is a way to prevent the conversion of accdr to other format that may solve all my agony. I never develop a database for money.But I never tolerate others damaging my database application. Hence as a final attempt I want to know is there any way to prevent the conversion of accdr to other format. Thank you all for helping in my troubles.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Users are not working with your original development copy so they are not damaging your application. They are probably messing up data but that is different issue.

Need to prevent user access to navigation pane, disable right click shortcut menu, disable function and special key combinations, customize ribbon, even disable the shift key bypass. All discussed in various sources. Start with:

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US

https://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft...tc-324677.html

https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=66916
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I compile my database to accde and convert it as accdr for deployment
    you don't convert to accdr, you just change the file extension. It is intended for developers to test their app in a runtime environment, it is not a security measure, but will perhaps fool a few people. They would have to have a full version of access installed in order to open a .accde
    Later I know that the database can split into front end and back end
    in a multi user environment, this is essential
    But I again disappointed when knowing that the front end have also the linked tables and that can also be edited by the user.
    they can edit data, but cannot change the table design without going into the back end
    Hence as a final attempt I want to know is there any way to prevent the conversion of accdr to other format
    only by preventing users having access to windows explorer, or at least limiting their ability to change names. This is unlikely to be a workable solution

If you want total security (and no security is totally secure from a determined 'hacker'), access is probably not the solution for you. You need to decide your security policy - basically what you want to protect, from whom and from doing what.

There are things you can do, but none are foolproof. Converting to .accde is always worthwhile as it protects your forms, reports and code, but leaves tables and queries open to prying. Protecting the backend with a password is always worthwhile, but that password is discoverable by someone who knows what they are doing.

you can hide the navigation pane and ribbon, you can disable special keys, you can have a bit of code which runs as soon as the file is opened - if it does not have a .accdr file extension, it closes the FE immediately. You only create a linked table when it is required and destroy it as soon as it is finished with. You don't use tables and queries but use dsnless connections instead (all done in code) - you can create your own equivalent of a data API (aka websites) in VBA to do this, etc. Whether these are worth doing depends on the what and who. Many of these cannot be considered as an afterthought but should be considered before you start building your app.

sanal is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    If there any code to prevent the renaming of the file extension ie. If the file extension is not the accdr the database should not be opened or atleast prevent the opening of main two forms . Else hide the navigation pane permanently if it is possible with a password. Even in excel the selected cells can be locked with a password. It is not the case of a determined hacker but every public without any programming knowledge can unhide the navigation pane and make design changes to tables by which make the access application worth nothing. I don't know is it my language that prevent you from understanding the fact. It is the big lapse of access application that even a child without any knowledge in access can make design changes to tables even delete any table or forms or reports. Even if access is good enough to build smart application as it in any other sophisticated platforms , this big lapse destroy all worth of it. If there is any way to overcome this lapse please inform me such as a code to hide permanently the navigation pane and disable the shiftkey and other bypass options. If you send such a code that Will be a great help I ever had. Thanking You.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Ajax has already answered most of those points:

1. No you can't prevent the file extension being renamed. However you can add code to immediately close the database if it is renamed to accde/accdb
    2. You can hide the navigation pane, ribbon, taskbar & the application window itself
    Together with database passwords & disabling special keys like shift bypass make it almost impossible to hack your databases (except for VERY knowledgeable users)

Have a look at this DEMO of mine which does many of the things you want: https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=69856
    It is also possible to disable various keyboard combinations e.g Ctrl+Esc; ctrL+Alt+Del by doing registry changes
    In fact you can disable the keyboard completely if you really want!
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is online now VIP
    I use an AutoKeys macro to disable Ctrl+p when the db opens. Really the only time I've used a macro because I couldn't find any other way to accomplish within Access.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I use an AutoKeys macro to disable Ctrl+p when the db opens. Really the only time I've used a macro because I couldn't find any other way to accomplish within Access.
    That can be done using VBA as well. However, why prevent anyone printing?

AFAIK disabling certain keyboard combinations such as Ctrl+Esc; Ctrl+Alt+Del can only be done by editing the registry - not by VBA
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

June7 is online now VIP
    Database has customized ribbons. Did not want users trying to print forms and even outputting some reports was closely controlled because certain things had to happen before print. So printing is handled by custom buttons on forms for those and some reports open to preview with customized ribbon showing only the printer icon.

generic1969 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    they can edit data, but cannot change the table design without going into the back end.
    This is not true. I was under that assumption, however, I have a split database (access password protected back end/Access front in accde), someone challenged me today on the security of a table that has a password field. I said I would look into it, I was able to import the "password protected" back end table from the front end accde file, then go in table design and remove the "password" mask on the password field, clicked view... there were all the decrypted passwords! VERY disappointed that it is now taking me 3 hours of google searches looking for the answer to preventing linking or importing tables from my "protected" (sarcasm) front end, with still no answer.

Quote Originally Posted by generic1969 View Post
    I was able to import the "password protected" back end table from the front end accde file, then go in table design and remove the "password" mask on the password field, clicked view... there were all the decrypted passwords!
    Applying a password input mask just hides the passwords with asterisks.
    You can certainly remove an input mask of a linked BE table from the FE
    BUT that is not changing the table design.

More crucially, applying a password mask is NOT encryption. It is just a mask covering the characters with ****
    If you MUST store passwords in your Access app, you should ALWAYS encrypt them using a powerful cipher.
    I use RC4 which makes passwords almost impossible to decrypt unless the cipher key is known

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EncryptedPassword.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	35692

Having said all the above, it is possible to change the design of linked tables IF you know how to do it.
    To make that more difficult, you should always password protect the BE file which DOES encrypt the file with 128-bit encryption (ACCDB files)
    If you fail to do that, the entire file can be read using a text or hex editor.

For more information on security of Access files see the following links on my website:
    a) Compare Access File Security (MDB/MDE vs ACCDB/ACCDE) : http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/c...ity/4594431226
    b) Access security challenges : http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/s...ges/4594398127
    Last edited by isladogs; 10-03-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.