voughtce is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Importing table data to autopopulate a form

I have recently used a database to track service calls to customers. We recently acquired a large number of customers with a merger and hence the calls are more often. Previously the Customer information such as name, address, city, state, zip, etc was input manually. I have a table that I imported all the data I want to auto-populate from. I need to be able to have it link back to the form where data is entered without completely redoing the form and not lose the data that is already in that as well. This is just a means to reduce typing all this information since it is already in another table.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I note this is your first post. Welcome.

Are you new to database and Access?
    As per usual, most projects start with some sort of requirement.
    And involve some analysis and design to move from what you have (current set up) to what you need (new set up).
    What do you need for output etc for the new set up vs what you have now?

I would suggest you organize files--that is make some backups, and document what they are, date of backup. Do NOT work with live data--any glitch could be horror story.

A little more details or scenarios of what you are facing will help readers.

Good luck.

voughtce is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Not really new to it, but surely should have had some thought put into it beforehand but the data was not entered as often previously. So basically I have a Form called SR Form that is almost entirely made up of items in a table called "SRTable". This includes everything from customer contact to machine information, problem, notes on troubleshooting steps, etc. I initially made it this simple just to export data for charting frequency of certain fields such as "Root Cause".

I am only wanting to use a new table with all the customers in it that I have already imported to auto populate the fields for Customer Name, City, State, and ZIP. Relationships is not the way to go table to table I know, and creating a query between them will basically result in a whole new form.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You want to normalize database structure to eliminate repetition of customer info in the Data table?

Why do you say 'relationships is not the way to go' - if you don't want relationships why are you using a relational database application?

Your table of Customers and table of Data must have a relationship. There must be fields with common values that can be used as primary and foreign keys.

Perhaps all you have to do is base the form on a query and change some textbox properties.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Let's get a feel of this. How many tables are in the database?
    How many tables do you need to update with the new customer information?
    Are any of the customers in the existing table also in the new customers table?
    How many existing customers are there? How many new customers?
    After the new customers are merged, do you need the new customer table at all?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.