yiyi is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

formatting in Access

I have only a basic knowledge of Access gained through a short course. Have made 2 databases but nothing very fancy. Wondering if anyone could tell me if the following type of database would be possible.

I want to create a database which I could use to organise my collection of sentences/phrases/snippets of dialogue in the language I'm learning.
    The sentences/phrases would be central (or very important) to the database and would use formatting like bold and italics to show new/interesting words, grammar points, etc. In the table, they would also often occupy more than one line in a row (like in Word), e.g. for dialogs, I would want a new line each time the speaker changes, and from table view, I would probably want to be able to see the whole text at once (like in a Word table).
    Types of info about the phrases I would want to be able to store include:
    sources, themes, particular words, parts of speech, gender, other aspects of grammar, etc.

Is it possible to use rich-text editing to create a database like this? And, if so, would it be possible to use it extensively in a database which could potentially become very big?

Unfortunately I don't currently have access to Access to play around with. Thinking of purchasing it.
    Last edited by yiyi; 08-05-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: missing word added

DaveT is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Starting with 2007, Access supports rich text formatting in memo field:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ac...010014097.aspx

You could put your other data elements into text fields

yeah is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Starting with 2007, Access supports rich text formatting in memo field:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ac...010014097.aspx

You could put your other data elements into text fields
    Something is seriously wrong with my brain. I have been to the above referenced site. I have verified that I am working, in fact, with Access 2007. I do not have option to click the icons shown at the site above. <They are grayed out on my database window. I promise.> oops==>I read the part where the TextFormat setting must be set at the table level first. Now I've got it.

Another Q: What about a report created prior to the setting of that property in a table? Would that prevent TextFormat property setting in a report field?

Perhaps you do not have the Text Format property set to Rich Text.
    See the attached screen shots.

Regarding the report, in a quick test here it looks like the report text format should be set to Rich Text, otherwise it seems to print the html tags. See attached screen shots that are from a report design.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Perhaps you do not have the Text Format property set to Rich Text.
    See the attached screen shots.
    That's it! Thanks much.

Windows XP Access 2000
    And along the same line of questioning, I have tried clicking Page Setup, Page, Use Specific Printer, saying OK then SAVing the report object after having done this. Still, the next time I print the report, Access sends it to my default Windoze printer rather than the Specific Printer I selected.

These are network printers. If I choose the printer I want when printing the report, of course all goes as planned and that printer does it's job exactly as expected. Just can't seem to make it a permanent arrangement. Dunno why.

You might start a new thread for this question and get some suggestions.

Meanwhile, what I've always used as the quick way to do this, is to select a specific printer with the report in design mode. Then print the report (File, Print) FROM the design view. Then save the report.

Next time it should go to that specific printer.

The trick is to do the setup with the report in design view, print the report, then save the report (in design view).

I have a duplex printer and use this technique all the time to set single sided (simplex) printing before sending apps to clients who want single-sided reports only.

Windows XP Access 2000
    You might start a new thread for this question and get some suggestions.

Meanwhile, what I've always used as the quick way to do this, is to select a specific printer with the report in design mode. Then print the report (File, Print) FROM the design view. Then save the report.

Next time it should go to that specific printer.

The trick is to do the setup with the report in design view, print the report, then save the report (in design view).

I have a duplex printer and use this technique all the time to set single sided (simplex) printing before sending apps to clients who want single-sided reports only.
    Like you, I did this all the time myself. The printer was a local printer rather than a network printer. But you know, I added new printers (as many as I wanted, all shoving output to LPT1) and configure them as uniquely as needed to support my reports' needs. I could save them as specific printers with each report and the report would remember it. But that ain't happening now in 2007. I was running 97 back in the day. Cannot seem to get it to save.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.