sergey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

A Question about the Basics of the Many-to-many Relationships

Hello,

probably a very stupid question but I am a complete beginner in Access. I recently got an idea to store my knowledge about the R Language in an Access database. The idea is as follows: in R Language there are functions which you use to do something with your objects/data sets etc. In each function there are arguments that specify the parameters of the manipulation that you would like to perform. Arguments can belong to multiple functions, and functions can use many different arguments. Obviously one could store arguments and functions in two separate tables with a many-to-many realtionship between them. So, without further detail which would be probably useless, the question is: does one really has to edit that junction table each time one enters new functions and arguments? Because there are hundreds functions and thousands arguments with all possible links between them, that would extremely time consuming... So, is it really the case that the process is not automatized?

Please sorry if it was not understandable and thanks for you help in advance.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    I will answer with this example: a table of Students, a table of Classes

1 student can be in many classes. 1 class can have many students. Many to Many

What is needed then is the 'transaction table' that is the intersection of both. At a minimum it would have 2 fields: Student ID, Class ID. In real life this transaction table also has fields for the Semester, Year, Physical location, Teacher. (Each of those other fields are linking to their own separate tables: Semester-Year, Teachers, Locations).

Nothing is automated. One sets up the static or list tables, then one must enter the data into the transaction table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.