Samuel_Silva is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Packing List

Hi !
    I'm kinda of blocked on this one !
    I have a database in Access and i need to scan some product barcodes to make a packing list and after reading them, print the list and store it with a unique number.
    The products are all loaded in the database. My access program is making the products barcode already but i need to add a "module" to make a packing list for the products needed to be dispatched.

Can you please point me to a identical solution so i can see how to do it ?

Thanks.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I would have a single record form to the tPackingList table, with PackID (autonum)
    This would also have a sub table of the items as a subform.
    The barcode would be read into the sub form.
    add or remove items.

Then you can print the current list from the main form.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I will try to give some more details about what i want.
    - I have an Article's table with the product details which includes the part number that will be used to call the products info when i scan the barcode.
    - The documents packing list should have an unique number and each document will have a lot of articles. This document should make some calculations too since i can scan several identical articles.
    - When the packing list is done and confirmed that its OK, it will record the info (not before).

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Please clarify your set up. A typical Packing Slip often has a copy within the shipment. A shipment may be the whole or part of an Order. When I get a shipment related to an Order, the Packing slip is used to ensure all parts are properly received.

Just checked wikipedia and found
    Code:
    A shipping list, packing list, waybill, packing slip (also known as a bill of parcel, 
    unpacking note, packaging slip,  (delivery) docket, delivery list, manifest or customer receipt),
     is a  shipping document that accompanies delivery packages, usually inside an  attached 
    shipping pouch or inside the package itself.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    There are usually two separated documents, the Packing list and the Invoice. They must both be identical in articles and volumes and crossing its information avoids shipping errors.
    They are not linked by a software.The invoice is made by a commercial program and the Packing List by a program that i'm doing in MS Access.
    Registering in Excel is very simple. I scan the barcode and it goes automatically to the following line. I want to do something similar in Access.
    I want to make a list and then record it to a table. Each document as a unique number. The articles information are already stored in a table, so, the fields will be filled automatically.

I was able to do a Form (to store a record) and a Subform (based on a query) but i was only able to store one article per record..... It might be something like an append query that its missing.... probably, but not sure.

Here is a generic model from Barry Williams' site that deals with Products, Orders and Deliveries.
    It may be helpful in organizing your approach.

The Deliveries_Products table would appear to be where the Packing Slip info would be obtained.
    Good luck with your project.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks orange, but i'm a MS Access newbie and the only thing that i get from there are table relationships.

What i pretend is similar to an Invoice program. One table is to store the invoice data and the products table is were my articles are.
    If i'm able to see a small example, i can adapt it to my program.

Do you understand the relationships?
    Do you have some of the tables shown in the diagram?

For your proposed application/database, do you have a list of requirements.
    You mention Invoice, but that is usually related to an Order and identifies the money to be paid.
    There is a Customer who makes the Order and who pays the Invoice.

Is this your first database?

Have you tried Google to search for examples?

Here is a link to information on Database Planning and Design.

Good luck.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I just finished to see a video and it was quite helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpQLiK5ohE

My mistake was on relationships. The one-to-many integrity is essential to assure that i get what i want.

See the link in my last post. There are some videos and articles. I recommend you work through one of the tutorials from RogersAccesslibrary mentioned in the link. You will learn about relationships by doing the tutorial. Then you can apply it to your database.
    If this is your first activity with database, then you should spend some time researching normalization --also mentioned in the link articles.

Getting your tables and relationships designed and tested is very important.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.