bruh V2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Question Trying to create a multi-column combo-box listing each employees qualifications

Hello all,

I am currently developing an access database which will be used to help my department supervisors plan work for the upcoming day as well as document changes on the fly when needed. Right now I a split form that has a column in the datasheet that will allow a supervisor to select a technician from a combo-box to assign them to that specific job. The goal was to have the column just show the techs name, however when you click on the box to select someone else, it displays their name and what qualifications (quals) they have. I have used multi column combo-boxes before so I understand how they work.

The issue is that the linked table that stores the qualifications each employee holds (a linked odbc table) has a separate record for each qualification that a tech holds. What ends up happening is that a Techs name shows up several times on the list depending on how many quals they have instead of displaying their name once and then each qualification in its own column on the same row. Please see the linked photo for a visual explanation of the situation.

Basically the combo-box will only display the active techs from Box 1 in the list to help keep the list small. Box 2 is the linked table that lists the quals for each technician (This linked table only updates the quals and their statuses once a day at midnight, the rest of the time the data is static). Box 3 is a loose idea of what you would ideally see when you click on the combo-box.

Example Photo

Any suggestions would be great.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Create a crosstab query using both tables to get the box 3 result. Use that as the row source for your combo
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Play around with the crosstab query wizard. I think you could get that result.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

bruh V2 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    Create a crosstab query using both tables to get the box 3 result. Use that as the row source for your combo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Play around with the crosstab query wizard. I think you could get that result.
    Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately it looks like that crosstab will only work if you are trying to calculate the fields somehow. Not sure if there is something i'm missing though. I'm no expert in Access so it could just be me.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It should work.
    Suggest you post a cut down version of your db with the relevant tables so one of us can create a suitable crosstab for you
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Methinks you're confusing Crosstab with Totals. In my limited usage of crosstabs, I have found them too wonky to use with forms very much. One time, they produce 4 fields, the next time 6, the next time 8 (for example). That you could fit a volatile field count into a combo's columns and be able to rely on it is something I wouldn't expect. At the very least, you'd have to ensure that the number of fields returned never exceeds your combo column count.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    bruh_sched_Qual-v1.zip
    See attached. This should give you some ideas. The crosstab query supplied could be appended to an empty temp table (box 3) on a daily basis.
    You would need to flesh out the example to include the qual names instead of the integer in the temp table if necessary.
    The supervisors could update the temp table via a form with the temp table as the recordsource, with a combobox for each column.
    The rowsource for the comboboxes would all be the same, based on a value list or a new lookup table for the qual areas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.