tuna is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Question How to store inventory properties?

I have a lot of structures in my database like so:

Consider inventory - I might have stocks of balloons, for which I need to record colour, or I might have stocks of cars for which I need to record their registration plate numbers, and so on. The point is, I will need to record different properties for different types of inventory, and each property is unique to that type of inventory.

So naturally, I figured that since each property field (i.e. balloon colour, car plate number) was going to be inventory specific, I would take a bit of an "object oriented" approach by creating child property tables that were also inventory specific, kind of like having subclasses of a class "Property":

tblProperties (field PropertyID) ---> (LJoin PropertyID) tblPropertiesBalloons (fields PropertyID, Colour)
    _________________________ ---> (LJoin PropertyID) tblPropertiesCars (fields PropertyID, RegNo)
    ________________________ ---> ... and so on

I'm simply wondering if this is the best way to approach this. I know that I could have recorded all properties in on table with loads of different fields, but is that structurally sound?

Ultimately, I was envisaging what eBay can do, when if you list balloons, a field for "colour" will appear on the page, and when you list a car, a field for "registration number" will appear on the page. Is this simply achieved by hiding and showing fields at runtime? How would their tables be structured?

I've been puzzling for a long time over this now so sorry for lots of questions.

Thanks very much.

tuna is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Also, I have properties like "quantity", which details the quantity of a box of stock. I would then need to perform calculations on this type of property (summing) to give me quantity totals for each type of inventory.

In addition, I need to keep historic data on these properties. For example, I have a "condition" property (which gives information like "new" or "old") and I need to keep records of when an piece of inventory goes from new to old etc. I then work out the current state of the inventory by reading off the most recent record. In fact, I currently use this method for all types of properties, but access is often complaining "system resources exceeded" or "cannot open any more tables".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.