SunTop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

sequential numbers on filtered query

Hello everyone,

I have a table that contains a list of products, this table contains a column for the product center, I also have a query based on this product table that contains a criteria to filter the products according to the center that it belongs to, now I need to apply a certain sequence to the filtered query, meaning I need to put sequential numbers to the products, but then I realized that I can’t store data into a query, I only can store data into the table, but if I added the sequential numbers to the table, then I will add it to all the products without the filtered by center criteria, how can I add sequential numbers to the filtered criteria without having to store the data into the unfiltered table ?

One possibility - you have a table of products produced at work centers (there even is the possibility, that some product is produced on several work centers). And in this table, you have a field, where all products belonging to same work center are given a order number (from 1 to ...) following some rule (and maybe an additional field which indicates, is the row active or not - for inactive rows no order number is calculated). In case those numbers must be recalculated over time, you create a procedure which is called p.e. from OnOpen event of projects start form or from OnClick event for button on some form.

Then you can make your query based on this table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.