ShaunG is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

subform not allowing new additions with properties set true

has any one had this issue before

A subform will not allow to make entries into it, checked all properties data Entry, Edits and Additions are all set to yes but when I double check them afterwards they seem to reset themselves some how to no....

the issue im having at the moment I have managed to get working but in a different way, when I doubled click on different subform which is inconvenient to the user.

the code I have used to pull up the OrderForm is -

DoCmd.OpenForm "OrderForm", acNormal, , "JoineryID_FK = " & Me.JoineryID_pk

is it a simply property that I cant find or do I need to code this? seems strange that I could get it to work for one but not the other.

the situation I have is -

I have 1 parent form (JobDetails) and 3 subforms (JoineryUnit), (Orders) and (OrderDetails)... JoineryUnit is linked to JobDetails via JobNoID_PK and all 3 subforms are linked together...

all parent and subforms have separate tables.

when I click on JoineryUnit it shows all the Orders in the Order subform and when clicked on Orders it shows all Order Details in OrderDetail subform.

I have created a form (OrderForm) so when double clicked on a particular joineryunit it pulls up the OrderForm with the Joineryunit filtered through and a new auto generated orderNumber is assigned.

I inserted a subform into the OrderForm so that the Order can have multiple detail records and its this record that im having issues with...

ive read this can happen due to a primary key violation but im not at all sure that is my problem.. if anyone could help would be much appreciated thanks

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If the PK field of the table used by the subform is the same as the PK field of the table used by the main form, then you have a 1-1 relationship.
    That means you will only be able to have 1 record in the subform for each record in the main form.

To fix, create a new PK field in the subform table and use the existing PK as a FK field
    Hope that makes sense
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    If the PK field of the table used by the subform is the same as the PK field of the table used by the main form, then you have a 1-1 relationship.
    That means you will only be able to have 1 record in the subform for each record in the main form.

To fix, create a new PK field in the subform table and use the existing PK as a FK field
    Hope that makes sense
    yeah ok I can sorta get my head around that... and that might be happening ill check that out.

if the case how do I create a new PK field in the subform.... I thought that was done when the tables were first created

You don't do that in the subform.
    Go to the table design view and edit it there
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

ok that's what I thought.

sorry to clarify are you asking if each of my tables has its own Primary and Foreign Keys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled10.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	32391

Looking at my relationships, I take what your saying to make Suppliers in the Orders table a Primary Key and make the OrderID_PK - a Foreign Key...

Im sort of thinking supplier should be in a separate table by itself as well, do you think this is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunG View Post

Looking at my relationships, I take what your saying to make Suppliers in the Orders table a Primary Key and make the OrderID_PK - a Foreign Key...

Im sort of thinking supplier should be in a separate table by itself as well, do you think this is needed?
    NO.... keep the SupplierID as a FK in the Orders table with a separate Suppliers table as you have now

However, I don't know which tables are used in your form & subform or which are the fields used to link them

NO.... keep the SupplierID as a FK in the Orders table with a separate Suppliers table as you have now

However, I don't know which tables are used in your form & subform or which are the fields used to link them
    I can upload the database if you don't mind taking a look at it?

Ok ... but it may not be till later today due to other projects.
    Please just upload the relevant tables and forms/subforms together with brief instructions to replicate your issue

Please just upload the relevant tables and forms/subforms together with brief instructions to replicate your issue
    that's fine I really appreciate you taking a look... llI try remove forms and tables but not hundred % sure which will compromise the database so do my best.

its pretty easy and straight forward to replicate though.

thankyou ill send through soon with instructions

Login form should pop up, Select User - Shaun and S is the Password

on navigational page - click on (view job progress)

Joinery is the subform on L/H side, double click on a highlighted joinery name to open Orderform for that particular Joinery unit.

the order form is very basic at this stage, most things will be locked, invisible and the user name and date automatically inserts when opened.

all that should be needed is the supplier to be selected and then the details of the order.

doesn't matter what I do, when ever I change the details of subform properties - data entry, additions, edits to yes, they change back to no when I reopened the properties to check.

at one stage I had it working, but I had to double click on the OrderNumber instead of Joinery Name, so I tried to reconfigure to the Joinery Name and now I cant get it working at all.

if you need any other info let me know and Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

you wouldn't believe it but I just sorted it, ive been creating new forms from scratch and inserting the data I need ... so I just tried the form wizard for shits and giggles and it bloody work done the trick!! happy days

still not sure where I went wrong as I tried everything the form wizard has done and still got no results.... not gonna complain its working after spending yesterday and today trying to work it out.

thanks again.

Excellent - saves me a bit of time as well....!

You would be amazed how often people solve a problem for themselves just after posting!

Excellent - saves me a bit of time as well....!

You would be amazed how often people solve a problem for themselves just after posting!
    im all about trying to save time lol... I bet just glad to work it out!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.