sagas1 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Need help designing tables/queries to find qualified candidates for specific job qualifications.

Hello,

I have business problem where I need to match a large list of candidates with a large list of job roles with a variety of qualifications. For example:

This table defines the qualifications for each role:
    Role Requirement Requirement Group
    Manager M1 1
    Manager M2 1
    Manager M3 2
    Manager M4 3
    Engineer E1 1
    Engineer E2 2
    Engineer E3 2
    Accountant A1 1
    Accountant A2 1

The table shows the applicants and their qualifications:
    Name Qualification
    Ryan A2
    Renee E1
    Renee E2
    Steph M1
    Jason M1
    Jason
    Jason
    M3
    M4
    Mike E2

Note that an applicant must meet at least one requirement from each requirement group. So to be a manager the applicant must have ((M1 OR M2) AND M3 AND M4) I would like to be able to query this data to get the following results:

Role Name Qualification
    Manager Jason M1
    Manager Jason M3
    Manager Jason M4
    Engineer Renee E1
    Engineer Renee E2
    Accountant Ryan A2

I have full control over the tables, but my challenge is finding a way to query "a candidate that has at least one of each requirement from each requirement group for one role".

Any help would by much appreciated!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have provided very simple datasets as example. I expect reality is more complicated (more than 3 requirements and more than 3 roles). However, I will provide a simple solution for the given data. Consider:

Query1: AllCandRoles
    TRANSFORM Count(Candidates.Qualification) AS CountOfQualification
    SELECT Roles.Role, Candidates.CandName
    FROM Candidates RIGHT JOIN Roles ON Candidates.Qualification = Roles.Requirement
    WHERE ((Not (Candidates.CandName) Is Null))
    GROUP BY Roles.Role, Candidates.CandName
    PIVOT Roles.RequirementGroup;

Query2
    SELECT AllCandRoles.Role, AllCandRoles.CandName, Candidates.Qualification, AllCandRoles.[1] AS [Primary], IIf([Role]="Accountant",0,[2]) AS Secondary, IIf([Role]<>"Manager",0,[3]) AS Tertiary
    FROM Candidates INNER JOIN AllCandRoles ON Candidates.CandName = AllCandRoles.CandName
    WHERE (((AllCandRoles.[1])>=1) AND (Not (IIf([Role]="Accountant",0,[2])) Is Null) AND (Not (IIf([Role]<>"Manager",0,[3])) Is Null));
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sagas1 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks! I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes. Yes, my actual data is set is much larger but I'm hoping I will be able to scale up the solution.

Will I need to spell out the individual roles in the select statement Query2? Is there a way that could be dynamic without me knowing the various roles?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Revised Query2:

SELECT AllCandRoles.Role, AllCandRoles.CandName, Candidates.Qualification, AllCandRoles.[1] AS [Primary], IIf([MaxGroup]=2,[2],0) AS Secondary, IIf([MaxGroup]=3,[3],0) AS Tertiary, Q.MaxGroup
    FROM (SELECT Roles.Role, Max(Roles.RequirementGroup) AS MaxGroup FROM Roles GROUP BY Roles.Role) AS Q
    INNER JOIN (Candidates INNER JOIN AllCandRoles ON Candidates.CandName = AllCandRoles.CandName) ON Q.Role = AllCandRoles.Role
    WHERE ((Not (AllCandRoles.[1]) Is Null) AND (Not (IIf([MaxGroup]=2,[2],0)) Is Null) AND (Not (IIf([MaxGroup]=3,[3],0)) Is Null));
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.