Ev0luTioN is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Microsoft Access Error 3071

Hi all,
    I am setting up a database through Access 2007 in the following manner:

Contractor -> (one-to-many) -> Labor Category-> (one-to-many) -> Fiscal Year <-> (one-to-one) <-> Pay Rate
    Basically, each contractor has many labor categories, each of which have multiple fiscal years. Each fiscal year would have a respective rate to go along with it.

When I start populating the database (simply using the Datasheet View), I can type in the data I need within the Contractor table no problem (including the data into the other tables through the '+' signs).
    However, when I save the contractors table, reopen it, and click the '+' to access the deeper databases, I get the following error:

This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables. (Error 3071)

Really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    let me advise in this way; one has a main table and some fields are always repeat info - - so rather than free type it is better for them to be a 'look up' field. An easy example is the 2 letter state abbreviation; MA MS GA etc. .... so you make a separate StateAbbrev table with one column and 50 records. In your main table you make that 'state' field a 'look up' field - - and when that launches the wizard which will help point you to that StateAbbrev table you made.

when you finally make a form on your main table - that look up feature will be there.

hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.