mcmcd99 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Red face Auto backup at specific times

Hello, I found this video on youtube on how to auto backup at specific times. What are your thoughts on this? Would it work on access 2016 if I copied his code word for word?
    Is there a better way? Do any of you have a preferred way? I really like the idea of an auto backup, and that is my next step in my database.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvysJsoBq4

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Tell us more about the database--how many users, is it split(backend/frontend), ar you developing or is this production/opertion???

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Valid questions. While waiting, I'll just say that other methods may not work in your situation, but that doesn't make them worse.

My front ends had a backup procedure to do two things: backup the data that was entered that day, plus download new production data so as to be ready for the morning shift. Windows Task Scheduler running on a dedicated pc that was never turned off opened the db with a special command line switch (it can be anything you want - I called it Otto Mayshun). The db opened and the autoexec ran the startup code. If the database Command argument had a value (Otto Mayshun) the code knew it was the dedicated pc that just logged in so the update/backup process began. A batch file called by this procedure was used to back up (copy) the be to a network location, which just over-wrote the prior one since incremental backups were not the goal. There was more to it but I won't bore anyone with the details. Suffice to say my point is that Task Scheduler is an option whether one uses a command line switch or not and the entire be file can be copied in one operation. That makes it more "automated" IMHO . I suspect not many people know about the db Command function or argument since in all the time I've been poking around here, I'm the only one who's ever mentioned it before - AFAIK.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    My database is simple. It logs and timestamps air traffic transmissions for a small general aviation airport. At the moment it has 1 table, 8 queries, 4 forms, and 4 reports. I want it to auto-backup to a cloud folder (like microsoft one drive) each night. I don't need anything too complex. It loads into a form that makes it easy to input transmissions, and keeps the database design features hidden behind a modal window for ease of use.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    And I have created the database (with the help of this forum!) to the point where it functions and does everything I need it to. This backup feature is the last real hurdle that I can think of, for now.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.