LeeGee3 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Populating Value in field based on value in field from other table

Hi, newbie here, and not very good with Access.

I'll try to ask this question as best I can (sorry if posted in wrong place)...

So, I have two tables, Servers and Services.

On the Servers table, I have several fields, two of which are 'Server Name' and 'Location'

On my Services table, I have many fields, but also have two called 'Server Name' and 'Location'. The Server Name field has a drop down that allows me to choose the values stored in the 'Server Name' from the Servers table. When I select the server, I want the Location to update as specified in the Server table that matches to the Server Name. I hope this makes sense.

Can this be done, and if so.. HOOOOWWWWW??

I've been playing around with Comboboxes but cant seem to get it do what I want.

Please help.

Regards,
    Lee

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You don't want to do that. Never store any value which can be easily calculated. Otherwise, you are storing the same information in two different places, which is not only inefficient, but can be problematic. If you were to change it one place and not the other, you would lose data integrity.

Keep storing the Server Location in the Server table. If you have need of it when viewing the records in the Services table, create a query that links these two tables, and return the Location from the Server table.
    You could also use DLOOKUP also (like on a Form), if you just wanted to look up the Location based on the Server selected.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.