nggman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

ODBC - call failed

I would consider myself an Access beginner. I am at a new job and am going through a written out process in MS Access (2016) to familiarize myself. Part of the process is to run several queries that have already been created. Once in a while when I run some of the queries that access a large table, the query does not even start and I get a pop up box in Access that says "ODBC - call failed". It also says [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Query timeout expired (#0). I don't have much support at this job and have to figure things out on my own. Since I am not very experienced with Access, I figured I would try here. I know an ODBC connection to the SQL Server where the database resides was set up on my pc (Win 7 Pro). Is there something I can move to my C: drive so I do not have to run this query over the network? If so, I will need pretty specific instructions because this is all new to me. If needed, I can provide a personal email address. Thank you. I have also tried to compact the database several times.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Generally in Access if you look at the Properties in the Query there is a timeout property normally set to 60 If the query doesn't return data within that time the query times out. you can change that by simply changing the property. adding a 0 to the 60 makes it 600 and the query will run for 10 minutes instead of one. a 0 in that property will make the query run as long as it takes to get data.

With that said there are other ways to speed up a query.

If you're using linked tables make sure that you've indexed the fields used in the joins and criteria by re-linking the tables specifying the index during the connection. It that doesn't speed it up enough then change the timeout time.

nggman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thanks. I did find the timeout setting and changed it. That helped and my queries ran okay.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.