mcmcd99 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Thumbs up Search by date and print report

Hello, I am having trouble with something that seems like it should be very simple.

I have created an input form to input timestamped events (radio transmissions). I would like to be able to print a report of all the transmissions for a selected date. Alternatively, I would like to be able to print a report of all transmissions by a certain party, which is a column in my records as well. Or by party, by date. Some easy way of getting the info I need into a simple report.

I've tried creating queries, but having to manually enter a date in the criteria field isn't very "end user friendly". And I've tried several other things, but my skills are super rusty.

I just want something that looks nice and simple: They see a form view (split view preferred). They search at the top by date or by party, and it shows the filtered view in the bottom half. Then they click print and it prints a nicely formatted report of that info.

Please help if you can! Using access 2016.
    Thank you

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    For my preferred approach, review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Afraid that isn't quite helping me. At this point I'm also trying to use the ApplyFilter command in a report.
    Although, what I am trying to do now is figure out how to have them use the date picker to select a date within the report, or even enter a date, then have it update the report.
    Still lost :-(

June7 is online now VIP
    I have never used ApplyFilter command. I use the WHERE argument of OpenReport method. Can't use a date picker in report. Data cannot be entered onto a report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So here's an update..

I'm creating a simple input log that will log air traffic at a small general aviation air field.
    My primary table includes date, time, aircraft type, call sign, location, traffic, and clarity.

I have a simple input form that works great- The date is date(), the time is now(), the type is a value list "GA, ARFF, STAFF, OTHER" and the call sign is a combo list that allows them to either add a new sign, or select from the list of signs already added.
    The location is a multivalue selection list for ease of use. It's a dropdown that has options for Taxi Alpha, Taxi Bravo, Runway 1, Runway 2, In Flight. I want a multivalue because I'd like it to be really easy to click both "in flight" and "runway 1" to show
    their intention is to approach runway 1, even though they are in flight. Then traffic is a short text message, and clarity is dropdown 2 choices of "Clear" or "Unclear" because some transmissions aren't readable.

So besides creating the log, I want to be able to print out a nice looking report, such as a daily report. All aircraft transmissions for a selected date. (If I could get the date selector to work that would be amazing!) Then if I could be able to filter specifically
    the transmissions by type, so I can print a report of all GA (general aviation) transmissions on a specific date. Or by call sign, all transmissions by ABC123 on a specific date. That's what I'm trying to do.

Also, I want my report to print my multivalue for location in the same field instead of adding a new duplicate record, showing 2 identical records with individual values of "In Flight" and "Runway 1", I want it to show as it appears in the record table of "In Flight, Runway 1"

I'm watching Lynda tutorials on Access 2016, but I'm on a time crunch and I've got to try and get this done asap. I would love to have a month or two to really relearn the software. But I think if I could get some help with some of the search/filter/report
    parts that would really help me a ton!

Seeing examples like the link above helped a small bit, but I'm not sure how to apply that to my specific situation.
    I thank you all for the help!
    What would I do without you? :-)

June7 is online now VIP
    Per Allen Browne tutorial, the constructed filter criteria string would be applied to the WHERE CONDITION argument of DoCmd.OpenReport.

You are using a multi-value field for location? I NEVER use multi-value field. Are users able to select "Taxi Alpha" and "Taxi Bravo" for the same record? Is this appropriate? Believe me, if you allow it, someone will do it.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I see. Well I suppose that is something I could just change to a single value list instead of multiple selections, for ease of use.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.