andy.101 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Cell History (edit history)

Hey,

Is there a way to keep history of what has been written in a specific cell?

I.e. I am creating a help desk in Access.

I have a column called 'Solutions'

I want our staff to write the solution they have tried in the cell. If the solution works it will stay there but if it doesn't I want them to put a new solution in, however I want to keep a history of the solutions tried, this is so that if a member of staff gets assigned an 'open' ticket they know what methods have already been tested.

Thanks for any help

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    put a button to 'revise' solution.
    the click event would run an append query to the tSolutionOld table (or the like)
    and allow user to change the text box,

docmd.openquery "qaAddOldSolution"
    txtBox.locked = false

andy.101 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Could I use ColumnHistory to do this? I.E I have a box called Solution and then a box call Solution History, could this box on the form have a ColumnHistory ?

Add a new table tblSolutions: SolutionID, CaseID, Solution, SolutionStatus.
    SolutinStatus will have 2 (p.e. 1 - approved; 2 - discarded) or more (p.e. 1 - the best solution, 2 - alternative solution, 3 - in testing, 4 - discarded) numeric values.

Remove Solution field from helpdesk cases table (Sorry, but I don't know your real table name and structure).

Add a subform based on Solutions table into form you use to display helpdesk cases. Link both forms with CaseID.

Into helpdesk cases form add a combo to select filter condition for Solution subform with set of selections. Selecting the condition must set filter on subform (like "SolutionStatus = 1", or "SolutionStatus < 4").

Additionally you have to design OnCurrent event for helpdesk cases form, to initialize solution status selection combo and set subform filter whenever a new case is selected. It is up to you how you define according rules (a possible rule is that by default the status with smallest value is displayed).

Whenever for solution in subform the SolutionStatus is set to 1, and there was previously another solution with status 1, another status for this previously approved/best solution is given (i.e. there can be only one solution with status 1).

Now, when you activate a case, a solution with status 1 (or solutions with smallest value, p.e. 3 when you have such status for solutions in testing) is displayed in subform. When you change the filter condition, alernative solutions are displayed, or best and alternative solutions, or discarded solutions, or all solutions, ... And you can change statuses for any solution whenever you want or add new solutions whenever such are discovered.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.