Philhoop is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form level mouseup event not firing

I created a data entry form with MS Access 2003 bound to a table with textbox, combobox, and subform controls. I have tried creating event code for the form's click, mouseup, and on selection change events and none of these events will fire (execute my code). If I add code for the individual controls they fire as expected. The form's on current, load, and on activate events fire as expected. Does anybody have a suggestion for getting the form level mouseup or click events to work?

SoftwareMatters is offline Access VBA Developers
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In my experience they do work but are a bit unpredictable i.e. it depends where you click.

What are you trying to achieve and why do you need to use the mouse click event??

Philhoop is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form level mouseup event not firing

1. First of all thank you for your reply
    2. Second, my problem is resolved - a friend pointed out the distinction between a form and it's sections (eg. header, detail, footer, etc.) each of which have their own events. I was expecting a form click event to fire when clicking in the form's detail section which is not the way (I now know) it works. The detail_section click event is the one that fires not the form click event. Once I put my code in the proper event things worked the way I expected.
    3. To answer your question, I want the following to happen: Whenever a user clicks into a control I want the control's entire contents to be selected, so that subsequent key presses will act on the entire contents not just insert letters at the point where the curser is located (the point where the click was made). Yes, yes I know if they subsequently double click the mouse they get this behavior, but you know how some users need to be protected from themselves. Any way, I want to write just one procedure that covers all clicks, not code for each control's click event.

Thanks again for your reply.....................Phil Hoop

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Excellent troubleshooting Phil and thanks for also posting your solution. Many will benefit from your efforts. Are you ready to follow the link in my sig and mark this thread as Solved?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.