DecaturLady is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Question Moving DB from Win7/Access 2016 to Win10/Access 365

Hi Friends,

I have an old (read SLOOOW) 11 year-old desktop, running Win7 & maxed out in every way possible. I also have a database built using Access 2016 which I need to move to my new laptop -- Win10/Access 365.

I can't figure out how to get it across the divide between my two computers. I've been using a thumb drive to move other data files (word, excel. PDF, etc.)

By using "save as" I managed to get the .accdb file and it's hidden file (.11accdb I think) to the thumb drive. BUT, I'm having trouble on the Win10/Access 365 side of things. Is there a conversion protocol I should run? I really need the speed of the laptop. Time is growing short and deadlines approach.

I've been able to open the database with 365 and update a record, save the form, run repair and close the DB. However at this point Access 365 hangs. It comes back after a while, but I've messed up or missed something critical.

Can Anyone Help Me?

Decatur Lady

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't use O365, but you might try this.

On the "old computer":
    FIRST, ensure Access is NOT running!
    Make a copy of the dB.
    Hold the shift key down and open the dB.
    Do a "Compact and Repair".
    Close Access.

At this point, you should have the dB (.accdb) - the locking file (.laccdb) should have gone away. If not and Access is not running, delete the .laccdb..
    Copy the Access file (only the .accdb) to the USB drive. Eject the USB drive from the "old computer".

On the "new computer":
    Mount the USB drive.
    Copy the dB (.accdb) to a trusted location.
    Eject the USB drive.

Double click on the dB
    Do some testing.

If the dB is split and you are moving both the FE and the BE to the new computer, do the C & R on the FE & BE, copy it across, then relink the two files.

DecaturLady is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Thumbs up

Steve, you are a genius! I think it worked. The locking file disappeared as advertised above.
    the .accdb open on NEW computer. I was able to make an update, save it, save & close the form; then Compact & Repair (which I do with obsessive frequency).

Access DID NOT freeze as previously experienced.

Interesting note: With db open and on the file tab, the db file name is on the first line of the monitor. Following the .accdb appears "(Access 2007 - 2016 file format)."

I'll poke around and see if 365 has a conversion tool.

Anyone with Access 365 conversion experience out there? Please jump in and advise re: db conversions.

DL

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Anyone with Access 365 conversion experience
    Shouldn't have to do any "conversion".
    Currently Office 2016 is the same as Office 365, with the exception that you buy the right to use Office 2016 in perpetuity and Office 365 is a subscription "service". If you quit paying "rent", Office 365 becomes unusable.

MS tries to make you think O365 is a better deal.... Personally, I don't think so.... is leasing a car better than buying it outright????

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ffice-365.html
    https://www.howtogeek.com/136343/wha...d-office-2013/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.