Bkper087 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Is it possible to securely accept credit card payments via an online database?

Is it possible to securely accept credit card payments via an online database? I don't have much experience with the hosting databases online, but I do have the ability to host one on a sharepoint site.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Been a while since I was involved in this, but there was/is plenty of payment services that process the buyer credit info without you knowing the card or the CSV (code on back of card). Payment processing is handled seamlessly by the payment process provider and is meant to look as if it's being hosted (not handled) at your end. If I thought you were using your own db for this, I'd back out of your shopping cart faster than a hummingbird. The security and privacy concerns I'd have would be huge.
    Have I misunderstood and you won't be using Access or any other db tool to process payments on your site?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Jen0dorf is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Hi

make no claim whatsover to be an expert in Access but I am experienced in We design and I concur with the other reply.

I would say that 99.9% of websites use a designated payment gateway, Depending on what you pay many of these allow you to "rebadge" their payment forms so they look like your specific program.

You have the the issue of SSL servers and certificates , encryption and other security issues let alone backups and firewall problems to con sider It makes it virtualy impossible for the average database/website author to implement without the use of a payment gateway.

This is why Sagepay, Paypal and others exist.

Also be aware that you have to comply with banking, Tax and legal financial Laws in the country where you take the cards. Ie in the uk we have VAT and thats it but in the US you have State Tax which is not payable in every case.

Walk away and pay the card gateway company. Many offer pre-built scripts to make implementation easy. ie https://zapier.com/zapbook/microsoft-access/paypal/

HTH

IAn

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.