PATRICKPBME is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Adding Field to Form but Data Not Displaying

I ran a query referencing 4 fields from a table that I have. I created a parameter requiring the last name be entered. The query ran fine and produced the info I wanted. I then used the form wizard to create a form based on the query. That worked fine as well.

After the form was produced, I wanted to change the layout so went into design view to move the existing fields. Again, no problem. Back in design view I decided to add some more fields to the form from the tables available. When I dragged the first field over, I got the "warning" that Access would have to create a new query and the form would no longer be based upon the old query. I agreed. When looking at the new form after adding this field all was well. Considering myself on a roll, I went back to design view and added another field. No warning appeared. Then, I again went to view the form in "form view". While the field I added had been placed on the form, the data from that field did not. Just an empty box.

My two questions would be:

1. If Access created a new query, is there a place where that query can be found; and,
    2. Is there an explanation as to why the fields are appearing but w/o any data.

As always, thanks in advance.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    1. I have no idea; never did it this way. If the field was part of the underlying table or query, I added the control then went to the property sheet data tab and selected that field to be the control's data source. Maybe someone else knows the answer to your question. I'm just saying what I'd do to avoid having Access take over.

2. AFAIK, can only be because the control is not bound to any field, or there is no data in those fields in the table.. Try my method in #1 to see if the field you need is in the list.
    Last edited by Micron; 08-04-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

PATRICKPBME is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Well, as to the first question I did find that if you open the form in design view and check record source you can see the "new and improved" query.

As to my second question, the answer was simple. I am an idiot. Maybe I should have checked my database and would have seen that there was no data for that person in that field. When I ran the report for someone who did have data entered, no problem. Sorry to have wasted your time! Wiping the egg off my face.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    No problemo. I am the president of that club!
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.