AndrewCoy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Simple Question...I hope

I am new to access, I need a way to track customer information and invoices. I am pretty happy with the "Time and Billing" template and have customized it to my needs, the only thing that I can't seem to figure out how to do is to be able to somehow calculate tax on the invoices.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Theres a number of ways that you can do this. We'll start out if you're computing state taxes where taxes will vary.

1. Make a tax table with a TaxID, State, and Tax % Amount. Set the Tax ID as your primary key.
    2. If you already have a state field in the customers table, change it to numeric and then set a one to many relationship between the TaxID in the Tax table and the state field in the customers table.
    3. On your forms, you would change the "State" field to a drop-down for the customers.
    4. In your query, you would have both these tables and your calc would be something like TotalTax:nz([TotalSale] * nz([Tax %]). You would use this in your report.

You can do the same type of logic for federal tax too where you would have a table and set relationships. You would probably do this on a yearly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCoy View Post
    I am new to access, I need a way to track customer information and invoices. I am pretty happy with the "Time and Billing" template and have customized it to my needs, the only thing that I can't seem to figure out how to do is to be able to somehow calculate tax on the invoices.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.