thart21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Explanation needed

I have been asked to insert the following into an Access query. It is not working the way the user states that it should and I would like to know if someone could break it down for me and explain what I should expect to see in my query results based on the below function.

ORGACWEEK: Int(([ORGAC_DATE]-"20100101")/7)*7+"20100101"

The field 'ORGAC_DATE' is a date field formatted mm/dd/yyyy

The function in the query should return "ORGACWEEK" always as a Sunday. They are telling me it is working in other Access queries but I can't get it to work and don't see how it is calculating on a Sunday only. Any help would be appreciated.

What I am getting is i.e. ORGAC_DATE 10/15/2010, ORGACWEEK is coming back as 10/9/10 and should be 10/10/10

Also, if it helps, this works in Excel and returns the correct date, I just don't know how.

=INT((K2-"01/01/06")/7)*7+"01/01/06"

Thanks,

Toni

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    SQL which is the language on which queries are based does not work the same as Excel, so the expression will not work the same in the query. I cannot explain why it is working in other queries but not this one. SQL always evaluates dates as mm/dd/yyyy. I am guessing that it is probably having difficulty with the literal string "20100101". For SQL to correctly evaluate the date, it should be expressed as #01/01/2010#, but unfortunately it will not evaluate the expression correctly because it will yield the Friday prior to the ORGAC_DATE (for the dates I tested) which is what I think you suspected.

The other problem with the expression is that you might have to go in and update the query each year to change the #01/01/2010# to the corresponding year. In the limited testing I did, I got either the preceeding Friday or Saturday returned when entering some selected 2011 dates

To correctly handle this for any year, I would recommend the following expression:

ORGACWEEK: DateAdd("d",-1*Weekday(ORGAC_DATE)+1,ORGAC_DATE)

The above expression uses the weekday function to return the number of the day on which ORGAC_DATE falls (As I have shown it, Sunday is assumed to be day 1 of the week; you can change this with the optional parameter of the Weekday() function if you want something different). After the weekday() function returns a number, I multiply it by -1 since I will have to subtract it from the actual ORGAC_DATE, but if I don't add 1 day back it will give me the preceeding Saturday. As an example, let's say that ORGAC_DATE=10/15/2010. 10/15/2010 is a Friday or the 6th day in the week. The weekday() function will return the number 6. Multiplying it by -1 yields -6, now add 1, so we now have -5. Add -5 to 10/15/2010 and you get 10/10/2010.

When you add or subtract values from dates in Access, it is best to use the DateAdd() function rather than something like this [ORGAC_DATE]-#01/01/2010#.

thart21 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you so much for validating my suspicions and explaining how it works. Also, thanks for the correct expression, works perfectly and makes sense too!

Have a great weekend!

Toni

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Glad to help out! Have a good weekend too!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.