squeasel is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Type Conversion Failure with Access 2013

Hello, I am new to the forum and hope this is a good place for this question. I have an older MS Access DB (written in the early 2000's) and now running on two systems ... the first is Access 2007/Windows 7 and the second is Access 2013/Windows 10. The first, Access7/Windows 7 still runs fine. But in the recent "upgrade" to Access 2013/Windows 10, an update query returns a Type Conversion Failure error. The only thing the query does is to update a Date/Time field using Now(). I have had no luck searching for this issue but may be using incorrect search terms. I do not follow Windows 10 so perhaps it is the culprit and has some well known work around, but it is not well known to me. Perhaps it is an issue with Access 2013 but I have not encountered it before, FWIW. Or course, it could be something completely different. Does this seem familiar to anyone? If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in Advance.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Is it because the date youre trying to insert is invalid?
    In the wrong format?
    or null?

a date field will always accept a NOW.
    is it set to General date time ?

Ranman ... thanks for the response. I am updating a date/time format field using the Now() function. This works using Access 2007/Windows 7 (as it has for all prior combinations of Access and Windows that we have used). It is not working using Access 2013 and Windows 10 though. I run the update query and receive a message like "no records updated ... Type Conversion Failure"). It still works fine on the old setup.

As for general date time ... I don't know for sure and don't have access to the database right now. But, the two computers (Access07/Windows7 and Access13/Windows10) are running the same database. What works on the older machine does not work on the newer machine. Thus my confusion.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    If you wish you can post your database and I can look at it. I too am on Windows 10/Access 13.

Thanks for the offer Aytee but I cannot share the database. I was expecting to find this to be a common problem, but perhaps it is not. One person thought it was a Windows 10 problem but it could be something set up strangely on that one computer. I can set up some scenarios locally and will do that, if no one claims it is an obvious problem.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I have an older MS Access DB (written in the early 2000's)
    Doubt it is the problem but Access 2013 will not open '97 mdb's. And I think 2000-2003 ceases next year. You would be well advised to upgrade your .mdb to 2007 .accdb.

I presume both users have their own copy of the front end? If not, then it is possible it could be something to do with access confusing references. (2013 will use a later version to 2007)

Much Thanks Ajax ... you have reminded me of some information that I don't have. I will see if I can gain remote access to the computers tomorrow for some testing.

Problem solved but not fully understood.

Recap: Update query works using Access 2007/Windows7 but generates a Type Conversion Failure using Access2013/Windows 10. The update involves setting a date to Now(). The table is being updated through an ODBC connection. The database is .mdb.

Test Results: I made a copy of the ODBC table locally The update query did not generate an error on the 2013/10 machine.

Final Results: After experimenting with the linked table I found I could update any field. However, I could not update a Date/Time with the Now() function. I substituted Date() and had success. Usability has been restored. But I do not understand why? The ODBC connected table could be updated using Now() on the 07/7 machine but not on the 13/10 machine. I am happy to have found a simple solution but I did not find a reason. Any thoughts?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Only thought is that as Access has matured, more and more 'things that used to work, but shouldn't have' have been fixed. Think you would need to delve into whether there have been any tweaks/fixes to the datetime datatype since 2007 was issued, both in Access and since you mention ODBC, the ODBC driver and whatever your backend is if not access. On reflection, I would check if both machines are using the same ODBC driver.

Thanks Ajax. I am suspicious of the ODBC drivers so will pass that along.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.