Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Correcting Employee Name and Meeting Options

In the db that I have attached to the post the frmEmail does not seem to work correctly. There are 13 employees and 4 meetings. The total amount of meeting options

per person is 4 - no more. However, when I go through the list say for Dwight Frye, there are 52 meetings available, not 4!

Something is wrong. Each employee can only attend a certain meeting once.

This just cannot be right since for one employee selected in the combo box there can only be 4 meetings offered. Yet, I get many more than that.

How do I fix this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    doesn't sound right to me - perhaps there is a clue in 13 x 4=52? Also, look at the 52 records produced - perhaps you have duplicates?

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I believe that it is Cartesian now. It should not be. As I said a person can attend a specific meeting once. There are now attending them more than once. Actually there are 4 meetings and 13 employees so going through all permutations is clearly not correct.

How do I fix this?

any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

CJ_London is offline VIP
    How do I fix this?
    by having a join between the tables

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Would it not be better to fix it with a query? In other words, each employee can only go to these
    four meetings once. There are only four meetings (for now) and each employee should not get exposed to more than four.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't know. You mentioned Cartesian which is a query so would think you would fix it there. With regards the rest of your comments, makes sense

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I am simply saying that there are 4 meetings scheduled. That number should be all that an employee can attend - only four. The list with I go through meeting date
    gives these meetings 13x or 13 times over. That does not make sense! How do I modify the next and previous commands for the meeting date (MeetingID) to stop when they
    reach the limit of meetings; in this case only four meetings.

There should be a way to stop. Say for employee, Peter Cushing, only can attend four meetings. Yet,
    it goes through those 4 meetings 13 times for all 13 employees! That is the problem. There is really no need for a putdown. I think it is a fair question.

Just look at the output of qryPersonnelMeeting2; there are 52 records. 13 employees for 4 meetings.

Again each employee can attend only four meetings that should be the limit of their meeting when in frmEmail. Not 52 meetings which
    is what it is giving me now.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

CJ_London is offline VIP
    its not a putdown, it is a fair question and I agree I would only expect there to be a choice of 4 meetings. You have already mentioned the cartesian query which is why you are getting 52 options. So fix the Cartesian query either with a join or remove the employee table.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Perhaps better if someone else makes a different suggestion

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I am not sure why you would want to remove the employee table? If you look at the frmEmail in design view the code is already there, it was put there about
    4 to 6 weeks ago. I am no expert on this and what and how this was done I cannot answer. I just want to know how to fix.

Please elaborate on your solution of a join. i am quite interested. It seems to help me in a solution. The record source for frmEmaili is qryPersonnelMeeting. It give me what I need in frmEmail. It gives more than I need.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Post the screen shot of that query in Design mode and/or it in SQL code. Also give sample of the data you are getting from the query and what it is supposed to be. Some cannot open zip files.

But as Ajax said, fix the query if that is your recordsource for this process.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I have attached a snippet of the output of qryPersonnelMeeting and I have also a snippet of frmEmail where MeetingID is selected. MeetingID is selected. I have also attached the db in a zip file. In it you can see that when someone moves down the list of meeting for a selected employee it goes through 52 meetings, not four.

My guess is that there must be a second query that filters the qryPersonnelMeeting query for a spefic employyee and the meeting he can attend. Again, that is only four in this case/

I am not sure how to interface it with the MeetingID selector to limit the meeting to the actual number available/

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Sorry about that. We having extreme problems with our ISP this afternoon. I attached the file that I described, but they never made it t uploa They are there now.

R, Lou Reed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture40.PNG   Capture41.jpg  
    Last edited by Lou_Reed; 06-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    your db has qrypersonnelmeeting1 and qrypersonnelmeeting2. There is no snippet and there is no query called qryPersonnelMeeting.

Your form frmEmail circulates through 4 meetings, but is headed Personnel Meeting Query.

So I am at a loss as to what your problem is

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Here are the files that did not make it in the previous message.We have had ISP problems this afternoon. These files should have uploaded initially.

They should be here now.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture38.PNG   Capture41.jpg  

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Here is a YouTube video that I believe would work for me. The lnk is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvn5DdhCDg

I am not sure how to do the syntax for the criteria in the qryPersonnelMeeting.

I have

[forms]![frmEmail]![cboEmployeeName]

in the qryPersonnelMeeting design with the above code in the criteria section of the FullName.

Now this is for my specific situation, but i do not know if it will work. I do have a syntax error.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    but i do not know if it will work
    Best way to learn, try it out and see if it works. If not, try something else. Keep a good backup of the database and data and test away!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.