Alecia is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Query using multiple criteria to populate a new column

Hello, I am not familiar with Access and was asked to create a db for attendance. I thought I was done and then was asked to add a column to calculate the number of occurrences by employee, simple enough or so I thought. I have a table which has employee names, time in, earning code and total hours for each line. So assume Employee A worked from 8:00a- 12:00p and the earning code is "Regular" with 4 listed in the total hours for that line. Now, Employee A left early for the rest of the day so the next row would look like Employee A- 12:30p-4:30p- "Unpaid Time" (as the earning code) and 4 for total hours. The 4 hours coded as "Unpaid Time" should result in 0.50 of an occurrence.

What I need is another column added now named 'Occurrences' which is going to calculate all rows that contain the earning code " Unpaid Time" and look at the number of hours to determine how much of an occurrence this will be. So the occurrences are calculated in quarters based the number of hours.

0.5 minutes to 2.00 hours = 0.25 of an occurrence
    2.01 to 4.00 = 0.50 of an occurrence
    4.01 to 8.00 = 1 occurrence

I am so lost someone please help, thank you!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Alecia,

We all started with what was described as a simple straightforward database -or so we thought/were told.

there is more to database that a single table. There are some links in this post that deal with database design and planning. I recommend the tutorials and videos highly.

Good luck.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I normally make a query, Q1SumEmpDay, to add up time for each record.
    select emp, WorkDate: format([StartTime],"short date") , TimeWorked: datediff("h",starttime,endtime)

then Q2SumHrs, sums the REG time for Emp/Day
    select Lbl: "EmpTime",emp, workdate, Sum(TimeWorked) from Q1SumEmpDay

then Q3Reg gets only reg hrs ,
    select Lbl: "RegHrs",emp workdate ,RegHrs: IIF(SumTimeWorked>40,40,SumTimeWorked) from Q1SumEmpDay

then Q4OT gets only overtime ,
    select Lbl: "OT Hrs",emp workdate ,OTHrs: IIF(SumTimeWorked>40,SumTimeWorked-40,0) from Q1SumEmpDay

then get the missing hrs
    select Lbl: "missing hrs", emp workdate ,MissingHrs: IIF(SumTimeWorked<40,40-SumTimeWorked ,0)

put them all together in a UNION query.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Expression in query to calculate unpaid hours Occurrence:

IIf([EarningCode]="Unpaid", Switch([TotalHrs]<=2,0.25, [TotalHrs]<=4,0.50, [TotalHrs]<=8,1, True,0), Null)

or

IIf([EarningCode]="Unpaid", Switch([TotalHrs]>4,1, [TotalHrs]>2,0.50, [TotalHrs]>0,0.25, True,0), Null)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Alecia is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thank you all for your help, I am still getting errors that expressions is to complex. I think I add another column in my table that hold this data and continue using excel to calculate it, so when I do my weekly upload to the DB it is already done and the supervisors can just run the report from the DB. My excel file was getting too large.

Thank you again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.