Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

What good is this table?

In the file that contains the db, there is one table that is quite confusing. It is tblAttendance3. I did not write this part of the db and I do not know what is going on here. It seems a test table. Something used in database debugging - nothing more.

I renamed tblAttendance3 to tblAttendeance7. (I did not have the nerve to simply delete it.) When i opened tblAttendance it then said it could not find tbAttendance3.

I used V-Tools to find out all instances of tblAttendances3. They are displayed in a screenshot that is also attached to thispost.

There are no instances of tblAttendance3, in tblAttendance that I can see. Yet, rename tblAttendance3 to something else and open tblAttendance and it states that it cannot find tblattendance3.

That is very puzzling. What is going on?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture2.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    There is no sense in having this many attendance tables. There should only be 1.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Yes, as I said. If I remove tblAttenance3 and then I open frmAttendanc, MS Access 2010 says it cannot open tblAttendance because it cannot find frmAttendance3. Yet, I see no connection between tblAttendance and tblAttendance3.

If you see my Vtools search posted there simply is no connection. But, there must be! There simply must be based on the statements above.

Where is it?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I deleted tblAttendance and renamed tblAttendance3 to tblAttendance. At first when I opened up frmAttendance, it said it could not find tblAttendance3. I am sure it could not since I deleted it.

But after a few more tries the error stopped showing, after few more tries it disappeared, I did a Vtools search and found some SQL code that had tblAttendace3 in it this was before my dleletion and renam..

I checked the code again and what used to show tblAttendance3 now shows tblattendance in the SQL code. What is going on.? Is the SQL code self-adapting?

It must be!

I just wanted to know.

Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    This may sound like a foolish question, but it is not. I want to get rid of tblAttendance3 and as I said above when I opened frmAttendance the error said it could not find tblAttendance.

So I have tblAttendance and tblAttendance3, the later I want to delete. But how I do it creates an error. The error occurs when I open frmAttendane. It cannot find tblAttendance3. That is okay. However, after a few more tries of opening frmAtendance the error ceases to show. The SQL code that used to have tbAttendance3 now has tblAttendance where tblAttendance3 was. This is very strange.

I must remove tblAttendance3 and all of its related software or it will change to tblAttendance software.

That might now be so bad except I already have software code for tblAttendance and adding what once was tblAttendance3 code, but it now tblAttendance code just makes for a jumble of code.

Of course, at that point there is no way to selectively remove only the tblAttendance3 code since it has renamed (self-adapted?) itself to tblAtendance code.

At this point I am really stuck.

That is the reason for my self-adapting code question above.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I knew this sounds like a goofy question, but believe me I was serious. I think that the link below gives a very strong hint at what is going on.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mic...anges-for-you/

This happened as I describe it in the previous post.

What is actually happening.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Looking at the image in Post #1, you can see the field names in the table are listed. That takes care of 6 lines.
    Then there are 2 instances of the name property. Now we're up to 8.
    That leaves 1 line - the query.... which happens to be an APPEND query. So basically, it refers to the table "tblAttendance3" and 1 query.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I checked the code again and what used to show tblAttendance3 now shows tblattendance in the SQL code. What is going on.? Is the SQL code self-adapting?
    You do know about the "AutoCorrupt"....... errrr, I mean the "AutoCorrect" option in Access????
    What is is supposed to do is when you change an object name, Access changes the name (or tries to) dB wide.
    This is a known cause of corruption and (in the past) has been strongly recommended to uncheck this option. (I have and do.)
    Something to be aware of..........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What good is this table? (tblAttendance3)
    Haven't got a clue. I didn't create the dB either.

I did do some tracing, though.

First, there is a macro named "addMissingRows" that when it runs, executes the query "qryAddMissingRows", which appends records to "tblAttendance3".

So you open the dB. There is an autoexec macro that runs; this opens form "DivisionDashboard".
    When you click on the button "Meeting Management", form "frmAttendance" opens.
    Form "frmAttendance" has an embedded macro in the "Form_Open" event.
    This macro executes the query "qryAddMissingRows", which appends records to "tblAttendance3" with data from a Cartesian join between tables "tblMeetings" and "tblPersonnel".

On form "frmAttendance", there is also a sub form "sfrmAttendance" that has a form event "Before Query" that directly executes the query "addMissingRows".

It appears that "tblAttendance3" keeps a history of/tracks some kind of attendance. But..... why??? Beats me..

I seem to remember at one point you had a question about a message that your dB needing to be "updated"???

Form "DivisionDashboard" has 3 events - one of which is the "Form_Load()" event.
    The last line of the "Form_Load()" event is "Update_Check".
    Find "Private Sub Update_Check()" and trace the code.
    Around line 18 (depending on how you count the lines), you will see a message box where the message begins with "our Database needs to be updated. ....."
    Apparently, "Update_Check" creates a new dB based on an "ExpirationWarning" field in "tblDatabaseConfig"....

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    The message that db needs to be updated was has been overcome by events. I would not worry about that. It is fine. It is not in any new version f my db. it is gone.

I just dropped that. A relic from the past with a no bearing today.

I created tblAttendance3 tti wanted to try something new (for me at least)on tblAttendance. So I created a copy of tbAttendance and called it tblAttendance3. Then tried the insert command and
    it worked fine. However, once I was finished with insert command testing, I should have deleted tblAttendnace3. I did not.

I went on doing other things and never got around to deleting tblAttendance3. Then, after awhile, I wondered what in the devil is that tblAttendance3 doing there.

It seems to have melded into the db as you said with autocrrect. If I remove it, when I open fromAttendance, it complains that it cannot find tblAttendance3.

It should not be able to find tblAttendance3 because it was a dummy table - an experimental table. It should have been removed weeks ago. I would like to do it now cleanly.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.